Not my finest hour...

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by chalkie7, Jan 24, 2016.

1. chalkie7

chalkie7 New Member

Ok...I've just built 4 owl nest boxes for a local animal sanctuary. I've applied 2 coats of cuprinol ultimate wood preservative (water-based), which went on a treat. As the boxes will be out in all weathers, I thought it best to also apply a couple of coats of decent exterior varnish. This is where it has all gone wrong. In my infinite wisdom I decided to use Ronseal Yacht Varnish (oil based). The first coat was applied 24hrs ago and is still very tacky indeed (no great surprise). My question is this....will it dry out naturally given enough time, or do I have the horrible task of trying to remove the varnish somehow (presumably with a rag and white spirits?). Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It will dry eventually, your workshop must be a bit cold, they recommend using it when temperature is above 10°c, & you only need to leave 8 hours between coats.

chalkie7 likes this.
  3. chalkie7

chalkie7 New Member

I do hope you're right KIAB...it'd save me a lot of grief. Assuming it does dry, would I be better swapping to a water-based varnish for the second coat?

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Is it wise painting a varnish on an owl box or an animal box for that matter.

Could there be a risk of poisoning.

5. chalkie7

chalkie7 New Member

The varnish is being applied to the exterior only...

6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

And the owls will never be in contact with that :eek:

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Creosote and old engine oil...animals love it! :D

8. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

a wise owl will not eat the box, ;)

Tiny01 likes this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The fumes wont be though.... left untreated would still last for years.

10. chalkie7

chalkie7 New Member

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I was asking the question of poisoning, not stating it would.

Though I'm sure some products definitely would.

chalkie7 likes this.
  13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You should check the instructions on the cuprinol to see if/when it can be over-painted/stained (I would have said a month at least).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

14. chalkie7

chalkie7 New Member

That could be my issue thinking about it....I did only leave it 3 days to dry. Thanks for your feedback...appreciated.