Not standard depth integrated or semi integrated dishwasher?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by imk, Jul 22, 2014.

1. imk

imk New Member

Hello,
    Anyone know (make/model) of a integrated or semi integrated dishwasher that has more than 20mm
    space behind it.

Problem is that every dishwasher I have looked at of late all conform to a standard size of 550 or 570mm depth. Hence there is not enough room behind them to fit the plumbing so you have to hack the side out of a adjacent cabinet.

What I would like is a semi integrated dishwasher or integrated dishwasher that is more like 500m deep so I can get the plumbing behind it.

Any ideas please?

Many thanks in advance imk.

2. I suspect you'd need to go 'slimline' dishwasher as in the type designed for holiday homes, chalets, etc. That would, I think, be a huge compromise in usable size.

It is very common - usual - to have to provide the plumbing gubbins in an adjacent unit. I would suggest that that's still your best option.

There will often be a step-in at the bottom-back of these built-in appliances so as to allow room for pipes, etc; have you checked this out? But, the outlet will still need space for a waste pipe unless you are close enough to the sink or existing plumbing for the D/W's hose to reach directly.

3. You really need 500mm deep? If you measure the depth of normal base units (with their back panels removed) you should find that you have the best part of 570mm depth available - isn't that enough to runs pipes? Some full-sized int D/Ws are 540mm deep - that's 30mm to play with, in theory...

And do check with manufacturers about whether their models have a recess at the lower-back as mentioned before.

4. snezza30

snezza30 Member

IMK,

You say "there is not enough room behind them to fit the plumbing". If you only have standard depth worktops (600mm) then the chances are that your cabinets are between 560mm to 570mm deep,not including the cabinet doors.
    If this is the case, then any existing pipework behind a domestic integrated or semi-integrated D/W, will have to be removed/relocated.

As DA stated, most D/W's have a recess low down near the bottom that is approximately 150mm to 170mm high (when the D/W is adjusted so that the top of it sits tight to the underside of the worktop). This is the position that the existing pipework needs to be located. Even one 15mm pipe running vertically behind any part of the D/W will cause the machine to hit it and prevent the machine from sitting back far enough to allow the cabinet doors and integrated D/W door to line up.

The two flexible pipes from the D/W itself can be easily routed in such a way to run in the lower void and then attached to the plumbing connections in an adjacent cabinet. Also, do not put an electrical SWITCH of any sort behind the machine, either a Single socket or Switched Fused Spur as it will be inaccessible once the D/W is screwed and fixed in place.

Even if you can find a reduced depth integrated or semi-integrated machine, which I doubt as I have never come across one, the price would be VERY high and far more expensive than the cost of moving any existing pipework.

Snezza.

5. imk

imk New Member

Hello and thanks you all for the replies,
    the DW's I have looked at all seem to have the same basic profile of 550 deep and as cabinet are 570 I have about 20mm and that is not enough for a 43mm anti syphon U trap etc. So basically the plumbing I will have to slip behind an adjacent cabinet and that just make access when installing/maintaining a pain. So the bright lady at BQ said I could put a 150mm wide wine bottle unit adjacent to the DW as it is only about half normal cabinet depth so I could slip the plumbing and electrics behind it and still have room to spare. Then when I want access I can remove the plinth and slide the wine bottle cabinet out, so I think this will be my best solution.... Many thanks Dawn at B&Q..

6. This is a new kitchen, and you were anticipating having problems providing D/W plumbing in an adjacent unit?

It's standard practice to do this, and overall it makes life a lot easier; say you did have room behind the D/W for the supply and waste pipes, imagine the fun you'd have connecting it all up, pushing the D/W into place and then praying you hadn't kinked any pipes...

If you are happy with having a 150mm wine slot in your run of units (it's a personal thing - some can look good, others like a space-filler), then Dawn's idea is, indeed, nifty.

7. imk

imk New Member

I assumed that modern built in DW would be like my old standalone one that had room for plumbing etc behind.
    I guess this really comes down to modest 8 place setting family have standalones and 12 place setting families have a built in.
    (As an aside I know a family that has TWO dishwasher in the same kitchen. Mmmmm, maybe they should buy a TV ;-{} )

8. :)

Happy New Kitchen.

9. snezza30

snezza30 Member

IMK,

If you don't mind me asking, who is going to be fitting this new kitchen of yours?
    Are B&Q supplying and fitting it?

Any good Kitchen fitter would modify the existing plumbing to accommodate the pipework for your new D/W. There is absolutely NO NEED for you to have any connections BEHIND the machine whatsoever. It is now standard procedure to have all water (both supply and waste) connections in an adjacent cabinet. This is usually the Sink Base cabinet, for obvious reasons. Having all the plumbing connections accessible in the cabinet will allow you access to turn off the water supply to the machine should you need to, and without the need to start pulling out plinths, wine racks or, god forbid, the integrated machine. I assume you do realize that these machines are screwed and fixed in place? They are not generally classified as "Customer removable", and generally only get removed when and if they ever go wrong. You certainly shouldn't have to remove it to turn the water off, or to access the waste connection.

Snezza.

10. imk

imk New Member

Snezza,
    B&Q are supplier of some of the components, cabinet etc but other items have been source from elsewhere as BQ do not stock the items I require. My plumber friend tells me that what you mention is the standard fitting eg DW, sink, WM and put the plumbing in the sink cabinet.
    However this room layout does not lend itself to that type of layout hence the issue of where to put the DW waste anti syphon pipe.
    The WM is in a laundry room anyway so really only tricky mix in this equations is DW outlet, thanks for your input.
    imk

11. snezza30

snezza30 Member

Who's going to be fitting the kitchen.......???????

12. imk

imk New Member

Any assembly of skills, including myself.

13. snezza30

snezza30 Member

Ah, now I understand...!!!

I wish you all luck with the installation.

Snezza.