Novice here!

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by WBHK, Feb 5, 2017.

1. WBHK

WBHK New Member

I am completely new to painting and decorating! I wonder could any one advise on if I'm doing this right. I have recently moved into my childhood home and have started to redecorate. Every wall in the house has wallpaper which I'm going to take down to just paint the walls. I started on a back bedroom, removed the 2 layers of wallpaper and lining. The walls are in ok condition just the paint that was under the wallpaper was flaky and a few holes which I filled in with polyfilla. I have scraped as much as I could of the paint off, sanded all the walls and did a sugar scrub to hopefully achieve a good base for the new paint. I was worried about the new paint flaking off and not looking the best when it was finished so I had a look online for anything to help. I found the zinsser peel stop primer and went off to buy it but they didn't have it in stock so after explaining to the man in the shop he told me about the zinsser bullseye 123. I have given the room one coat of this so far and will give the walls 2 coats of the dulux total cover Matt white after that then finish with the final colour paint. My questions are:
    Do I actually need to use the zinsser 123 going forward with the rest of the walls in the house or would the dulux total cover have done the job just as well?
    Do I need to wait for the zinsser to cure before I paint with the dulux or can I go straight ahead and paint once its dry?

Sorry for the long post! Any help/advice would be great

2. As long as the remaining paint is fairly well adhered to the wall, then in most cases matt emulsion paint can be rolled straight on - no sealer/primer needed. So you may wish to try that on others walls first before resorting to Zinsser stuff.

Having said that, and traces of wallpaper paste or loose paint flakes then Zin products are good. Except I don't think 123 was the best choice.

I don't know much (anything...) about 'peel stop', but I understand that Zin's Gardz will seal pretty much anything, including traces of remaining paste. It sounds like good stuff.

So, personally, I'd give the walls a good sugar-soap wash, allow to dry fully - and then straight to a neat coat of matt emulsion.

As you apply the first coat, you should get an idea if there's gonna be any issues - like flakes of old paint coming orf, or any bare plaster surfaces 'sucking' too much, or wahtevs.

Chances are, tho', it'll be fine.

Any issues, and I'd go 'Gardz' next time, and not 123 (123 is really - afaIk - for allowing you to paint on weird surfaces like melamine, or oil-based etc).

3. WBHK

WBHK New Member

That's such a great help thank you! I had half the room done with the 123 and was still thinking to myself is this a step I could have skipped & was it the best stuff to use to tackle the flaky paint issue!

Going forward if I do happen to find any issues with the first coat of Matt emulsion would I just sand that part down and reapply the emulsion?

I'll Take your advice for the rest of the walls and just go straight to the Matt emulsion! Thanks again!

4. Yes, any probs chust sand and reapply.

Although if it's clear that old paint is flaking off more than expected, then perhaps time to stop and 'Gardz' it.

Emulsion is also quite a nifty 'fine surface' filler... Possibly the worst problem you'll find is that you'll see the steps of the edges of the old paint and bare plaster - they may well show through when the paint coat dries. I have sometimes resorted to applying a couple of thick coats of cheap white emulsion in such cases, allowing them to dry fully, and then sanding the whole damned thing with ~180 grit (I think).

Basically, the emulsion paint 'feather's the edges. And it's very easy to sand.

The alternative is to smear on fine-surface filler across the edges and sand that - man, it's hell...

5. WBHK

WBHK New Member

Haha the easier the better! Thanks so much will give it a go!

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. But don't blame me if... ;)

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Nowt wrong with 123 to seal the flaking paint.

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Never used Guardz, but sometimes it's time( therefore money) vs materials money and on a commercial job its often cheaper to shell out for a product then to spend days labouring away.
    Will Guardz completely 'seal' paste off Astra?

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I've never used Gardz so unable to comment, to seal the paste off I use an oil based Primer/Sealer if required which isn't very often at all. It is confusing that a Zinsser product appear or can overlap on there specific uses.

CGN likes this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Try again!
    It is confusing that Zinsser products appear to or can overlap on there specific uses hence that has become a grey area when giving advice on the correct or most suitable Zinsser merchandise to use.

CGN likes this.
  11. From what I've read - having not used either - 123 is essentially a surface primer that will make virtually any surface suitable for over-painting. Eg, melamine-covered unit doors which have a pretty non-stick finish as standard.

Gardz is, I understand, specifically a wall sealer and they claim it also binds in old wallpaper paste - which would be quite something 'cos I've seen the mess that can occur when emulsioning over even small traces of remaining paste.

Gardz is also pretty well priced and tends to come in larger containers - what you would expect for large areas like walls.

That's my understanding based on picked-up info.

CGN likes this.
  12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

13. My understanding is - from Zinsser's own website - that Gardz will seal everything, including old paste.

Which makes it pretty awesome :)