nte5 master socket wires came off

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by koolpc, Sep 19, 2016.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

The 2 BT wires in my BT master socket came off as i unscrewed it from the wall.

Which connector do they go on? They were in 'screw' connectors. Whoever fitted it left hardly any slack and that is how the wires came off!

Also, i have a 6 core extension cable and and extension socket. What wire go where as i want to install the extension in the room behind the wall where the master socket is. I have drilled through the wall and want to wire the extension into the BT socket. Ta

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Orange is B & White is A.

But, can be either way around.

Extension socket.

2 white & blue
    5 blue & white
    The bell wire 3 isn't used nowadays.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got it wrong.:eek::oops::oops:

[​IMG]

5 White & Blue
    2 Blue & White.

3 Orange & White is bell wire is rarely used now .

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

But these days it doesn't matter. Don't see too many shared service lines any more!

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had OR engineer here other day, got chating, there are still a few 'Party lines' in exsistance, which surprise me.:eek:

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Wow! with those weedy earth spikes still in service too?
    Oh, don't get me started on the old GPO Telephone days. That's where I started.......

That's got me thinking on how wonderful the broadband service might be if you were on a party line when the other sub picks their phone up with no ADSL filter in place:eek:

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Party lines will soon be gone & EO lines are going the same way thankfully, you can't get fibre broadband on a EO line,only ADSL broadband, we had a bunch of EO lines here move over to a new cabinet last year.
    BT aluminum cable is another relic from last century,got it here, giving me so much grief, dry joints,etc, wish BT would replace it, then I get better broadband speeds.

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

There certainly are and it can be in towns, villages or remote locations. They are trying to get round to removing it all however the costs can sometimes run well into the thousand or occasionally tens of thousands and cannot easily be financially justified.

Will not happen though. Any DACS equipment will be removed before DSL services are provided.

9. Pollowick

It will be a while before they are all gone, the costs can be extortionate to change over some blocks of EO lines and put in sensibly located cabinets. Up in the N of Scotland for example, a small exchange serving maybe 50 premises, all on EO could need 5 of 10 DSLAM to provide FTTC capability - at £25k each and maybe £5-10k to provide power does not make them viable!

As for Aluminium - it was seen as a cost saving. It works fine for voice and narrowband - at that time no one could foresee broadband. Again, costs and priority.

BT is investing billions, and would invest more IF they had the money available and could see a return - even in the long term. With ISPs forcing down BTs charges, the amount available for investment is shrinking.

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

How much paper insulated cable is there still sitting U/G?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

BT shouldn't have dabbled in BT Sports & tv, spending millions to get the rights to certian sports.

And BT intends to have G.fast is arriving some time in 2017:eek:.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...iew-can-expect-bts-g-fast-broadband-tech.html

12. Pollowick

A lot ...

Some people complain about their "old" phone lines and demand they be renewed so they can be faster broadband speeds. They don't realise that the old copper does not deteriorate and is probably a heavier gauge than the current versions - so any change is likely to reduce their speeds. Sometimes a quick re-termination will improve the line.

13. Pollowick

Unfortunately, BT needs to diversify somewhat. Call revenues will decline and they need to retain customers to stop them moving to other "entertainment" providers who also provide broadband. The cost of the sports can possibly be justified by the retained revenues.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Deteriorate:eek:, should have seen my alumimum cable, totally rotted, OR bod couldn't even splice a length of copper on to it,as it was so bad, had OR bods here three days replacing cable, & trying to find spare pairs.:D
    OR bods were brilliant they got me from 10Mb to 70Mb after replacing cables, & moving me to another pole.

15. Pollowick

Aluminium certainly does deteriorate when in moist environments - later versions had CCA - copper clad aluminium which was a lot better but would eventually go the same way.

I have recently come across CCS - copper clad steel phone cable! Cheap and imported, claimed to meet CW1308 but no way does it and it is awful for broadband! I say cheap but the prices or only just below, that of decent full copper.

16. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

So, i only need to use the 5 White & Blue 2 Blue & White from the 6 wires? Oviously the same on the Master socket and the extension?

Just tape up the other 4 wires?

Thanks

17. Pollowick

I would suggest using the Orange/White too - there are still some phones which require the ring wire from the master or it to be created locally. Normal practice is to just fold the unused cores back and wrap them round the outer sheath rather than tape up or trim.

Make sure you use the correct type of tool to insert the wires into the IDC terminals.

18. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I got one of those small white plastic insert tool.

We are not using any phones in the house. Just using it for internet.

19. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Don't BT(or any co) need the OW wire when they need to do a line check?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

20. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

So leave all the other wires off except for the Blu/wh and wh/blu. I had read that additional wires can pick up noise and reduce your broadband speed.

No, they do not test any internal wiring. When doing a line test, the test is only done as far as the line side components in the NTE5 master socket.