Oak stair covering

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by spen123, Apr 25, 2017.

1. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Covering and old stair case. Just need A final sand and coat of boiled linseed oil then traffic wax. Comments and tips welcome

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Been looking at pictures, which part is Oak?

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I was a bit confused as well. There are the marks on the treads and risers where they have been screwed and plugged.

4. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

It's new oak treads and risers. It's made from oak flooring. Tounge cut off and Bull nose edge put on

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

May have a bit of fun sanding the glue around the plugs

6. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

The dark isn't glue it's a coat of oil. It's going to be sanded again once all work is finished then oiled and waxed

7. Hmmm, I'm sure you want honest comments, Spen.

Sorry, mate, for me it doesn't quite work. I do like the strings and the newel posts - large chunky lumps of wood. But the treads and risers look to me like typical pine boards after a stair carpet has been ripped up :(

It isn't gnarled enough to get away with being a bare rustic look, I don't think. It also isn't oaky enough, somehow.

I like the idea, but I just don't think it quite works here, and I'm not sure why. Only my opinion, mind.

I'd be tempted to either fix a runner down the treads, leaving a small band of wood showing either side, or else even paint the steps, but not sure what colour.

Perhaps I'm being misled by the unfinished surroundings - it could well look impressive when both the treads and the surrounding walls are properly finished, so please keep posting pics of your progress.

Soz... :oops:

8. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

No don't be I appreciate the honesty. It's not my idea I did for a customer he is into all sort of funny things. The walls are going to be coverd in old prints. I wanted to replace the the old runners against the wall but he wanted to keep them on show. I did ask for tips so it's helpfull

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. That makes a huge difference; if your customer is going for a truly old rustic style - old prints on the wall, etc - then that puts the staircase in a different context.

Sounds like he's taking 'shabby chic' to a whole new level - and it'll probably work really well :)

Could you update this thread with how it progresses, please? Love to see it further on.