Oak-veneered skirting going mouldy

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Rob_bv, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Any know what could be causing this?

We completely replaced a bungalow's solid mahogany skirting with oak-veneered MDF. But a few months down the line, and a few areas (bedroom skirting and architrave around a couple of doors) have started to go black and mouldy, despite there being no presence of damp.
    Stripping off the skirting / architrave and the MDF is completely fine, it only seems to affect the oak veneer.

The Client for this one brought in their own decorator to prep and varnish everything, which makes me wonder if it could be down to anything that has been used during the process?

File 25-04-2017, 22 44 24.jpeg

2. Does the mould wipe off or is it under the varnish/coating?

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Sure its not dirt / dust ?

4. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

It seems to be underneath the varnish. Definitely not dirt and can't be wiped off.

5. Yam4

Yam4 New Member

If decorator used wire Wool in His preparation this could be reacting with any moisture present , Or with the tannings found in oak

6. Yam4

Yam4 New Member

Find out if Decorator used acrylic varnish, Because any presence of wire wool fragments would cause similar reaction to photograph

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Whilst there is very little oak in the veneer, I wouldn't be surprised if the decorator has used water based products on the trim and this is causing the tannin to react. To treat it, the only option is to remove the varnish and wash with something like oxalic acid. However, probably going to be cheaper to replace it

8. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

I agree, that looks like the oak tannins have reacted.

9. Stand by for claim and counter-claim betwixt chippie Rob and the decorator, with a distressed customer in between... :(

Rob, I'd contact the manufacturer of the archi as well and ask their opinion - cover yourself.

10. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Ugh, it may come to that. Very difficult client who refused to sign the contract and then demanded a 2% retention - so still owed £1200 due end of June.

Think the decorator was a friend of theirs, so obviously they'll blame us first and foremost - they haven't even considered it could be the decorator fault!

11. It's a strange one.

I can't see any way that the actual product was at fault, so now't to do with you. I'm also struggling to see how the varnish used by the decorator could have caused this - surely you can use both water and oil-based coatings, waxes, oils etc?

Unless, as suggested above, the guy strangely used wire wool or similar and followed this up with water-based varnish?

Anyhoo, you need to tackle this professionally, knowing that ultimately the law is on your side if it ain't your fault. So contact the archi makers and ask what could possibly have caused this - explain that you are only the chippie but you fear you might be held accountable. Is there any way whatsoever it could have been 'faulty' product?

Once you have your answer (and if it's the 'right' one...), you need to put in writing that you have confirmed with the manufacturer that you are not in any way liable, and the issue only occurred after the archi was given a finishing coat - which was not carried out by you and is therefore not your responsibility.

You may then need to be prepared to go 'legal' on this if they still withhold money.

Have you posted this on any other painter's forums? Do so on as many as you can - there must surely be someone out there who has seen a similar effect?

12. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

What did you fix the architrave and skirting on with? Where did you source the oak veneer mouldings from? What's the state of the door linings in relation to the screws used to fix them in place?

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's a no brainer really............it's somehow got quite wet!.........prior to decorating! :(

14. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

I've just found out that the Client cleans their floors (tiled, of course) with a mop and bucket so another possible cause right there!

I'm planning on cutting out a section of affected skirting (the photo above is of some of the architrave we have already replaced foc, I'm yet to see the newly affected stuff) to send to the manufacturer via the Builders Merchant we purchased it from and get a definitive answer. I should point out that I'm no carpenter, I'm a general builder (and contract in chippes to get this sort of work done)

Had another message from the client demanding that it's replaced before their painter finishes next week :rolleyes:

15. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

All new door frames and fixings, walls were fully re-skimmed as well (but checked for moisture content before installing). Architraves are glued and tacked with finish nails, skirting is fixed with Bostitch masonry finish nails; all nail heads filled and sanded. All mouldings were ordered in a single batch from the manufacturer, via the local builders merchant.

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Do they use one of those steam wands?

17. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

The carpenters wouldn't have used steel pins is what I meant, steel reacts with oak, was eliminating small possibilities that's all. If that is your customers attitude, you know even if and when you prove its not your fault theyre going to try to shaft you, don't you? :(

18. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Yep, it's got to the point where I'm expecting it. There's nothing like working for the public to nullify your faith in humanity!

This is the second non-paying a$$hat in as many weeks - must be the time of year!

19. Rob, don't be intimidated into doing extra work that you are not 'happy' to do.

By that I mean, if you are 'happy' to replace some bits and take the cost on the chin for the sake of good relations, then fine - but make it clear (in writing) that this is why you are doing it (or they could try and claim it was an admission of liability).

If you don't want to do this - eg if it is simply going to cost you too much or take too much of your time - then you need to explain that there is no circumstance where you feel that you could be responsible for this black staining; you fitted the architrave and left it in perfect condition. If they are trying to claim that you are somehow responsible, then ask them to explain how.

Had they contracted you to also varnish the archi - ie leave the job is a fully completed state - then you may have been liable to sort out any issues. But they didn't.