Oak vs Beech worktops - is Oak worth the Premium?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by wau5, May 21, 2017.

1. wau5

wau5 Active Member

I wanted to get 2 oak worktops ( about £150/each unfinished for a bit better quality 40mm wide staves),
    however I got offered 2 beech worktops now for £62/each which seems like a bargain.
    This is for rather low budget kitchen refurb and I'm making everything myself but wanted to get better worktops which will last and look better.

It sounds tempting and they obviously look almost the same when finished, however.. have never worked with beech so not sure how good wood it is?
    What are the main differences really? Is it as or nearly as durable as oak? Does it ages well?

2. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

As a worktop beech is as good as oak hence why all butchers block used to be made out of it, and 40mm staves is towards the bottom end of any solid worktop, I prefer the look of the wider staves 80+mm but that is a personal preference just make sure you finish it properly then either will last as long as the other with no difference in quality
    Beech generally has a lot lighter colour to it and looks nothing like oak

3. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Seems like that's the case... just went to few stores to have a look at the beech.. and.. In my opinion it looks like a gnarly plywood :(
    Weird... as in the online pictures it looks quite nice and almost identical to oak, maybe it's just the pictures to sell more of it :D

Can you possibly stain beech somehow so it looks a bit better/similar to oak? The wood quality looked almost the same as of oak but just the look of it...

4. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Beech looks just as good as oak when oiled up, I've seen both beech and oak tops that look like carp when oiled up it depends on the individual tops
    Beech can be stained but why bother, if you want oak, buy oak if you want darker buy walnut if you want lighter buy beech
    At the end of the day their completely different grains so trying to compare them is pointless if you worried about the cost just glue some pallets together

DIYDave. likes this.
  5. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

The tannins in oak actually make it lees suitable for uses in food preparation areas it's just nobody worries bout this any more

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

For me - Beech.

Take a piece of oak, and as may happen in a kitchen, spill some vinegar on it. Then use a little wire wool to clean off the stain ... OOPS! It has turned blue! Yes, blue oak.

Paulie1412 likes this.
  7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

As far as I know butchers blocks were made of sycamore with the end grain uppermost, beech and oak look a bit similar but are easy to tell apart.

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I thought they were Maple - although both are from the same family.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Sycamore probably more common in Britian at the time but I am happy if someone want's to correct me.

10. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Was always taught that were end grain beech but sycamore would make more sense as it's a lot denser grain then beech so would last a lot longer

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It stains badly as well.

12. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Which, The oak or the sycamore?

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Oak, it reacts to water and steel.
    Sorry, you can't see the post I was replying to.

14. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Never used water based stain on oak, only ever used Morrells spirit based which I've never had a problem with, but it is meant to be sprayed on then the excess wiped off it does give a nice even colour though

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've just seen a lot of badly stained oak worktops especially around Belfast sinks. I wouldn't have either in my house.

Paulie1412 likes this.
  16. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

I've got a customer at the moment who wants their oak tops recoated although they can't remember what type of oil has been used in the past but also don't want them stripped back, do you think I'm asking for trouble if I wiped them down with a spirit based cleaner then oiled with Osmo worktop oil.Not sure if it might react to whatever type of oil was previously used?

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

When I've fitted solid worktops I've used a 2 part laquer which dries like melamine.
    I would have thought you would be alright but it might be worth dropping Osmo technical support a line.

18. Charliesdad

Charliesdad New Member

Hi

Can I ask what the 2 part lacquer was? Cheers

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No idea what Chips used, but look at Rustins PCGL1000 2 part lacquer, very good product.

Charliesdad likes this.
  20. Charliesdad

Charliesdad New Member

Have you experienced osmo products?