Oil Burner Boiler - Where can I get an Oil pressure test gauge

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dja, Nov 13, 2007.

1. dja

dja Member

My Potterton Oil Boiler has a port on the burner for attaching a pressure gauge to check the oil delivery pressure. Does anyone know where I can get one from?

2. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

If you adjust the oil pressure you will alter the optimum burner settings. Unless you know what you are doing, leave well alone!!

3. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

B.E.S. sell them, as do any heating sparesstockist, Parts Cantre etc.
    Why would you want to put a gauge on your burner anyway?
    Are you also going to buy a smoke pump and flue gas analyser so that you can reset the combustion after you have tatted about with the oil pressure? I bet you dont mess about with the control box on your car engine. The principles of combustion are exactly the same.
    Martin

4. dja

dja Member

Thanks for the advice chaps. Why do you guys always want to question why someone should want advice. I want to check the pressure to see if it is correct as you do when you suspect something may not be running correctly.We have just moved in to this house and the burner flame looks a little on the yellow side.
    I bet you check your car tyre pressures if you suspect a problem!!!.

5. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Bit of a difference checking tyre pressures or checking the fuel injection pressure - which is more like what you are doing.

6. dja

dja Member

You've got a brain at last, that's exactly what I'm doing ....checking to be safe!!!!

7. heatyman

I only wanted to point out that oil pressure is only part of the process. Checking tyre pressures does not upset any other setting on your car, though obviously it has an effect on the total package.
    What colour do you think an oil flame should be? I look at plenty everyday, and they are yellow. If you have insufficient air or too much oil, they are more yellow. If you have too much air, or insufficient fuel, they aren't quite so yellow.If they start moving to blue flame, your photocell will not recognise the flame.Overfiring can cause extensive damage to the heat exchanger or the baffles in the boiler. Why not put what you would spend on an oil pressure gauge towards a service by an accredited technician.
    Martin

8. pompeys

pompeys New Member

Heatyman is correct. Checking the pressure alone will not be able to tell you if anything is incorrect regarding the combustion of the fuel. The pump pressure can be altered to achieve a more desirable combustion of the fuel but this cannot and be assessed without other equipment which should only be done by a competent person. check OFTEC website for local technicians or preferable get a recommendation

9. dja

dja Member

Pompeys and Heatyman, thanks for your additional info.
    I only got angry because I felt I was being shouted at for wanting to check something. My initial assumption was to check that the fuel pressure was within the spec in the Potterton manual and adjust if required. I feel a bit more relaxed now that you have said that the flame is always yellow.

10. AlanE

AlanE New Member

Alarm bells ring with people because you started by saying that you wanted to check the oil pressure but now you confirm you also intended adjusting it.

The alarm bells ring because as others explain the oil pressure is NOT set in stone it should be regarded as a starting point. Then using smoke pump, and maybe flue gas anyliser, the pump pressure is adjusted, together with air supply to give certain characteristics.

Your pump being set to a certain pressure level, even if it differs from the manufacturers 'book' value, is not necessarily indicative of either a fault nor that your boiler has been incorrectly set up. It may well be at that level to ensure your boiler is working at maximum efficiency.

11. heatyman

A little aside, to supplement AlanE's comments, I was called in by a colleague to a Potterton Statesman boiler which was continually sooting up. My manual for the boiler specified a different oil pressure to that in the manual with the boiler. Upon phoning Potterton's technical department to clarify the correct spec, I was given a further pressure. Using the new pressure with the specified nozzle, gave me a flue temperature over 300 degrees C, when the target was 215. Such overfiring would not have been noticed without the requisite equipment and an experienced eye.
    A further call to Potterton to clarify the spec ended up with them coming out and they changed the burner. I wonder how many incorrect draught tubes they have sold on their boilers?
    Martin