Oil Paint

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by miss pickle, Jul 19, 2015.

1. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

Why the bloominghell did I choose oil paints??? :(
    They are a right royal pain in the backside! They don't dry!! EVER!!! tacky tacky tacky sticky sticky sticky FOREVER!!!!!!!!! :mad:
    DRY! you bar steward :p
    Drives me nuts. I'm gonna be claiming my pension before I can sell anything at this rate.
    I wouldn't mind but I'm dealing with items that I'd be lucky to fetch £15 quid for o_O that's after they are finished BTW.
    Spent £135 quid on paint alone though. So gotta hang in there and be patient.
    And the mess!!! There's another hour gone!
    And surely I can't put oil based in my new spray gun? How would I clean it?
    I could cry :rolleyes: but I won't. I will make a cake instead :D and wait another 300 million frigging hours for my paint to dry.
    I will NOT be beat! I will keep researching and trying and spending and I will eventually succeed. Or I will go back to a proper job :( Nooooooooo :eek: anything but that :D

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

'proper job' you've a job finding a proper job, this counties is full of desk driving,pen pushing,middle management,blood suckin' leeches ( agencies) creaming the milk from what used to be worthwhile jobs, now they want to pay peanuts and wonder why there's only monkeys coming to work anymore, :mad:

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got some oil based eggshell here, painted interior doorframes the paint was touch dry following day, but if knocked still soft underneath several days later.:(
    Never again, going over to waterbase paint next time.

Oil based paint can take up to 24hrs to dry, ready for the next coat of paint (and can take weeks to dry out completely).

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
  4. miss pickle

I've heard your getting divorced from Marge!!! Did you hear that! Was even on the news a few weeks back o_O. Now there is a day when I knew my childhood was over :(

5. miss pickle

Yeah its that softness!!! So annoying! Especially when you want to do finishing touches. I'm water based all the way from now on. Time is money :D
    Had a lazy day today but had a good dog walk and cleared the shed out. Oh well, its a Sunday. Day of rest :)

6. miss pickle

The sponge rollers are fine for the undercoat and first coat of colour but no good for the top coat :( I don't like the finish. But I don't like a brush finish either. Gonna have to sand and spray before stencil.
    My plant stand looks OK with a brush I think. And hoping wooden jewellery box will brush paint well now I've sanded it (again).
    Fingers crossed.
    My key box nearly dry. Should be able to finish that tonight and take pic tomorrow. Don't hold your breath though lol.

7. miss pickle

Shame I'm not keen on chalk paints. I'm so fussy! Sometimes I wonder if what's in my head is actually possible. Booo to oil and booo to chalk :p looks like water based satin for me. One wipe with a wet cloth though and it comes off! I like useful piece's that will have a lot of traffic :(.

8. miss pickle

Going to have to find a good clear finishing layer to go over the top coat of water based colour. More research. More money lol. I will get there in the end. Bloody amateurs eh? :D

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Check out Polyvine decorators varnish, that's an excellent product and seals painted wallpaper, wood, stone , brick, fabric ....and more. :p

FatHands, Gatt and KIAB like this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Since 2010 and VOC compliant all oil base paints take an age to dry that's one reason why water based paints are moving forward in a big way. Buy some proper brushes for water based paint such as Purdys monarch other makes are available. :rolleyes:

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Need very good ventilation for oil paints to dry. Outside in the wind is perfect once it has got some skin on it(to help stop dust and bugs sticking to wet paint).
    Also found that if doing 2 or 3 coats, thinning the final coat slightly helps to give a smoother, brushmark-free finish. Just watch out for runs.
    And believe it or not, thinning it doesn't make it dry slower, as the turps evaporates quite quickly.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

FatHands likes this.
  12. miss pickle

Great advice folks!!! Thank you so much :) very very much appreciated.
    Your a lovely bunch :D