ok so i live in northern ireland and i need advice on electrical work and the law

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by tina lucinda lane, Mar 2, 2015.

1. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

ok so i live in N.I. (northern ireland) i have a electrical and electronic engineering diploma (however im not a fully trained spark but i have all the theory knowledge what i want to know is how much can i do to an electrical installation my self before i breaking the law (ie can i replace lightswitches etc but not wire in new circuits to the fuse box) but could i do all the donkey work (ie running cables etc) as i have a friend who is a spark and would be happy to take me on as a labour if i can do more than just fetch and carry for him (i.e. i do most of the work then he just checks it wires it into the fuse box and signs it off) hes happy to do this but does not want to be breaking the law (i know if i was in england i would just attend a part - p course and i could legaly do everything he does) but for a while i did some light electrical work (i installed loft lighting for people legally by supplying it from a uk 3 pin plug run down out the loft to a wall socket but as most people have there lofts part boarded out ie lights and sockets all ready installed in the work dried up) i work curently in I.T. as an engineer but all my work requires a spark to do any socket cable rooting and wiring up for me which delays the installs any help you can provide would be most helpful btw im not carrying out any electrical work which does or could break the law in any way and never would

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Punctuation. No full stops, no capital letters, no commas. wtf!

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

A few brackets though to be fair to the OP so not all is lost :) !

4. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

To be fair I also have days like that. :)

5. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

do everything you want, charge loads, run away.

6. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

There is no law to prevent anyone from doing any electrical work (unfortunately), although SparkSafe Licence to Practice has been attempting to address the lack of regulation.

However in the south of Ireland it is a very different story with the industry becoming more regulated since October 2013.

7. tina lucinda lane

well i would welcome any law that prevents an incompetent person carrying out any work how ever i am a competent person also i have dyslexia so spelling etc not my strong point ok dnt give me a hard time

8. tina lucinda lane

so it is ok for me to work under a fully trained spark as a laborer

9. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select