Old emulsion on woodwork :-( How to deal with please.

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Sep 9, 2015.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Hi,

As the subject says I have white emulsion on all of a room's woodwork including doors - it looks as if its been put on with a broom too :-(

I've been sanding (detail vibrating type) which takes a while and on a flat cupboard door I found that a wallpaper steam stripper softened the paint and allowed it to be relativly easily peeled/scrapped of without damaging the oil based finish underneath.

I can't get the steam to soften on the skirting or architrave - not unless I spend all day to do one small section.

I am sure this must be a problem for many others and I suspect a there is a better way to tackle this.

I don't know what that is though - advice please?

Thanks, Steve

2. If it's emulsion, won't its surface sand down very easily to leave a smooth finish? In which case it should take your chosen top coat nicely, chust like a primer.

Ie - don't remove it - chust get it flat for over-coating.

I'm pretty sure...

3. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

I think it'll take lots of sanding as the emulsion is so thick in places but not others. The old gloss paint underneath is quite good - a bit yellowy, otherwise smooth.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Are you positive it's emulsion paint and not acrylic satin or acrylic eggshell?

5. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

I am now (after looking closer) sure it is NOT emulsion, but acrylic 'gloss' or maybe even satin. There was emulsion on cupboard doors and their surround. I was wrong in assuming all the white paint was emulsion.

I'll crack on with sanding tomorrow and be patient while doing it :) Thanks for the guidance and to question my assumptions on it being all emulsion. Assumption being the mother of ...

Cheers, Steve

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not used it myself but I believe that it is now possible to buy acrylic paint stripper!:confused:

7. Ah... not emulsion.

A shame in many ways, as it would have been a doddle to sand and paint over.

I still think that sanding is the best way to go if you can - trying to remove paint from skirtings & architrave must rate as the job from hell.

If it's really thick and lumpy, use a coarse 80 grit to start with if need be, and then finish with 280 or so. Hopefully this will be good enough for a top coat.

Don't try and get it perfect - a good couple of coats will almost certainly make it look spanking again, and a few extra hours getting it super-smooth beforehand will likely have made zodall difference.

But then, I'm a cowboy... :rolleyes:

8. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Well Friday was sanding day, just with coarse - plus a little bit of undercoating later on.

Two oil based undercoats later and one top of gloss (all with a foam roller) and it looks great :) Longer than I wanted this to take , but that's life I guess.

Cheers, Steve