Old garage switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by shadowfax, May 1, 2016.

1. shadowfax

shadowfax Member

Just thought I'd show what I have in my garage. It looks like 2.5 twin and earth. Not live.
    How old, any idea?

Attached Files:

2. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

It pre dates most of the people on this forum.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Haven't seen one of those for many years. Very reliable in their day.

Kind regards

5. Ripped a few out never fitted one.........lol

6. shadowfax

shadowfax Member

7. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

wow now there is some gorg retro tec pitty its missing the fuse (wire) cariers or i would be snaping your wrist to get my hands on it (to add to my stack of retro parts for display) love it.

8. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Look again Alex. They are sat on top of the unit complete with fuse wire.

Kind regards

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

What there is in a house I am involved with. If anyone wants the bits when they are eventually removed let me know!! cable from top of centre unit to lighting circuit is lead covered.

[​IMG]

10. tina lucinda lane

oh mr rusty i would love to own what you have there i just cant pay for the postage and live to far away to travel to england (or the rest of the u.k. just to get them) and when i say all i mean all even the wooden boards and the cermic insulators for the wooden board (screws unimportant) just gorg

11. tina lucinda lane

joys of looking at it on a phone screen

12. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Oh yes,a bit of vaseline on the switch lever and keep the contacts clean and tight and they'd run forever.

KIAB likes this.
  13. tina lucinda lane

trust me if i get anything this old its for display only (not to be re used.

14. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Yes but I've no doubt it would work,even after all those years,how much of this modern junk will still be serviceable in 50 or 60 years? :)

15. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Ah, there lies the problem. In the mad world where a house earns more than its occupants in a year who cares about the TCO(Total Cost of Ownership) of the infrastructure. An attitude that can prevail is "Take the cheapest quote with the cheapest gear, take the profit and let the next poor sucker sort it out".