old metal post filled with concrete at side of house...what is it.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by andyinknotts, Apr 30, 2016.

1. andyinknotts

andyinknotts New Member

Hi.

I have an old metal post filled with concrete which comes from the ground to about 5ft....this is about 3ft away from my house on a joining land which a house hasn't been build....surburban area....my house build in 1910...any ideas please....also coal mining area in the past...PIC below IMG_20160429_074950243.jpg

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Air raid shelter vent pipe, water tank vent,cellar, loads of things it could be.

Need a picture of the area around it, it's too tight, whats concrete bottom left?

Try clearing pipe, & drop a stone down it, & listen might give idea of it's depth.

Your local county record office, might have plans, info on your house,Ordance Survey 25" to 1 mile map might show something.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What's diameter of pipe.

4. andyinknotts

andyinknotts New Member

IMG_20160430_104804381_HDR.jpg IMG_20160430_104804381_HDR.jpg IMG_20160430_104804381_HDR.jpg
    Its about 4 or 5 inch....my thoughts is a screw pile hope not.....land next door was told was a orchard but this only bit of land plot not built on but does have a brick garage at front of land near road

Attached Files:

5. andyinknotts

andyinknotts New Member

I'm in process of buying the land..getting a council search and coal mining search done on it land is overgrown... Only plot not built on on the dense populated area...it was part of a garden of the neighbour next door but sold the house only and kept the land...he had outline planning permission about 11 years ago which expired

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member