One Coat drying time

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by C Windsor General Builder, Dec 8, 2014.

1. How long does it take for one coat plaster take to dry out roughly? (not go off but dry out all the way through)

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

How thick is the coat? Could take upto 2-3 days for a thick coat.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

In an unheated room in this weather, could take up to a week to totally dry out.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Can you get hold of a dehumidifier.

5. Yeah thats what i was thinking though i think the heating should be on ill just have to give it a couple of days then play it by ear should be ok till the weekend (its in a pub restaurant)

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

They are really good, could collect around 2 litres+ overnight.

7. Ventilation, ventilation and ventli - y'know.

Open every bludy door and window in the place. The current weather has been cold but dry (well, down here at least) so that would hugely help sort it, although as said about it's bound to take days at least.

If you don;t fully ventilate the room - a decent through draught - it could take ages. The air is cold so will hold little water, so the water in the plaster ain't got nowhere to go.

Proper ventilation should beat a dehumidifier, but the dehumi'r might be your only option if opening doors and windows makes it's simply too cold to do other work or if the weather goes like it was the previous week - I never felt air so damp and 'orrible... shivver

8. Its wet as hell down here this week so may well have to employ the dehumidifier but like i say it doesent need to be finished until friday afternoonish so it doesent have to be rushed ive got a couple of other jobs too keep my busy while it drys out