One Pipe System Woes

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Johnny8718, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Johnny8718

Johnny8718 New Member

Dear All.

I fully appreciate that the real answer to this question is to repipe the system with two pipes. This would be something that I would plan for next summer, but for now I need a quick fix.

Last year I searched around for a firm to fit me a condensing combi and a two pipe system. I originally had a one pipe system connected to a Baxi back boiler and hoped that someone would take on the job. Whether or not there was an ample supply of work in my area remains to be seen, however not one firm seemed interested at all and either priced me above and beyond or just never bothered to get back to me. However, a friend of a friend who can now only be described as a complete clown offered to have a look and I now have an issue with the work that he did. I know that I should have gone back to him, and that I did - only to be shrugged off, told to go away and ignored ever since. Issue being, this was a foreigner, a cash job and I have no legal standing. I have threatened to contact the firm that he works for. However, what would that solve? I still have the issue that I will explain below.

He insisted that he could fit a combi in a bedroom, and could pipe it to the one pipe system. He used the old gravity fed water pipes and joined in at the loft, feeding the original radiators, leaving the old boiler in place (the fire is still connected and works). Initially the rads would not get warm and he believed that this was due to the pump on the boiler working so fast that it was racing around the system, under each rad, failing to enter and only heating up the old 22mm pipe. Reluctantly and against my better judgement, he cut the pipes underneath each rad so that the water was forced to enter each and every rad in series. Sounds awful, but the heating worked great. He fitted a Potterton Apollo Boiler incidentally.

Since then, I have converted a bedroom into two rooms and need a rad in the 'new room'. Today I have hung a small double rad, have piped it in 15mm plastic and have fed it from the flow and return 22mm in the loft, about 15 feet away from the boiler. The heating bled up, runs fine and all of the rads get warm bar the new one. Only a very small portion of the feed pipe to the rad gets warm in the loft and no amount of bleeding and messing about cures it.

I assume that the free flow of the one pipe system again is allowing the water to flow in the easiest direction (it is racing past the branches that I have fitted)? Without repiping at the moment, how can I persuade the water to flow along my new branch? I have considered fitting a 22mm stop cock/tap into the 22mm flow somewhere near to my branch to slow the water down, but fear that I may damage the boiler or put the pump under too much pressure.

Please don't ridicule me. I know I have made a mistake, but it was the only way I could get a combi fitted. I have a basic knowledge in plumbing - my dad is a retired plumber and I have worked with him off and on over the years.

Can anyone help me get this rad warm? We are foster carers and need that rad to work until at least the time where I can afford and/or have the time to do something about it in the warmer weather.

Sorry for the long post. John.

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Sounds like youve been well and truly stiched up like a kipper. A one pipe system will work with a modern boiler but its not ideal and needs to be thought out not just bunged in. Cutting and capping underneath each rad is a fatal error if the first rad shuts down so do the rest, the idea for that bypass is to allow for individual rads to be isolated, now you cant do that to force water into your new rad.
    Not sure I can give you a definative answer on how to get your new rad working. However I can tell you that a combi pump works no faster than a standard pump so no its not zipping water around too fast.
    As far as his attitude to it being a foreigner he's put himself in jeprody as you would be within your rights to report him to gas safe. Have you had a certificate from Gas Safe notifing the installation, if not you have no manufacturers warranty or probably household insurance cover should anything happen. What this guy has done to you is classed as an illegal installation. Hes working outside the scope of his registration and could have put you and your family at risk.
    My advise is to get a local Gas Safe registered engineer in to check the work,Just ask for a gas safety check should only cost £50 to £70 at the most. In my experience most of the dodgy installs are found on the backhand jobs where they will cut corners to earn a quick buck. Sorry I cant be of more help with the rad but you need to be sure your safe first.

Johnny8718 and plumberboy like this.
  3. Johnny8718

Johnny8718 New Member

Thank you for that. In answer to your question, no we have not received anything from Gas Safe, but HE provided us with a Gas Safety Certificate as part of the job.

Should I have received something from Gas Safe?

I will however get it checked out as you say!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  4. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Dave's given you some very good advice,and as he said safety first.;)

Johnny8718 likes this.
  5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Yes you should have recieved a certificate from Gas Safe, all instalations have to be notified to building control, this is done by registered installers via Gas Safe who will forward you a certificate. This certificate will be asked for should you sell your house as part of the legal documentation process and it proves that your installer is both registered and competent in the instalation he/she has undertaken. As for you having no legal standing believe me your on much firmer ground than he is should you wish to report him. Wait and see what your independant engineer says, if there are any major issues he will/should forward a RIDDOR report to the HSE, where the do do will hit the fan.

Johnny8718 likes this.
  6. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Hi John, it sounds a ruddy awful job!!

Yet there is a Swedish looped system which operates in a similar way using special valves and radiators.

Sounds to me like you've teed into the flow and return and piped the new radiator using a two pipe layout (so no surprise it's not working).

To get it to heat up you will have to take those tees out and use elbows either on the flow or return pipe to bring the main right into and through the radiator.
    Then it will work (but you won't have any individual control on any radiator leaving the boiler stat as the only means of any control).

However, It is still a bodge job and something I would never do as a proffesional.

Good luck,
    Tappy,

Johnny8718 likes this.
  7. Johnny8718

Johnny8718 New Member

Understood! I appreciate the control issue but could put up with that until I repipe it.

Just one quick question. If I were to re-route the flow or return around that rad, could I drop from 22 to 15 to do so?

Thanks, John.

8. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Do it in 15mm if only because it's easier, no advance at all with this bodge system in using 22mm.

Johnny8718 likes this.