Ooops.. twin and earth repair

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Steve_K, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Steve_K

Steve_K New Member

Hi All,

I stupidly managed to drill through my downstairs ring main tonight, right in the centre of the longest run.

I've fixed it in my eyes using a connection block. Is this method safe / advised? It's a 2.5mm T&E 32A ring main on RCD protected circuit.

Photos of fix, the earth was sleeved before wrapping with the brown tape.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

No, its not good enough, need to use a junction box or a wago type connector.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

How can you drill through a cable when it's other side of joist..:confused::rolleyes::eek:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

And because its our own house we'd all adhere to the letter of the law would we?, lol, just saying!.
    More to the point, how did you manage to drill through a cable that's so on view?, lol.
    Junction box as it's so obviously accessible.

KIAB likes this.
  5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

It's that bore-hole he has made from the other side!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

KIAB likes this.
  6. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Well done for braving it and posting your photos online. Many wouldn't!

If it's being 'buried' in floor/ceiling void, or made otherwise inaccessible, then it should be a maintenance free joint. So that means Wago maintenance-free connectors in a Wago junction box, or similar (other brands are available).

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Now don't shoot me down for this, I'm asking.

If one were to use a connection block to secure soldered wires, would that be acceptable?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nope, junction box or a wago type connector.:)

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DEBOX2.html

New on the market - has anyone tried this one? Great for Steve's problem but cannot verify quality, so I don't know..if all go then excellent value for £1.50 + vat.

If not 3 x Wago 221 2 pole plus box

And some earth sleeving.

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Wago's in a choc-box for me!

KIAB likes this.
  11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Morning Sen - looking at that box again, must agree that a choc box with Wagos in would be cheaper and just as good/better.

12. Steve_K

Steve_K New Member

Thanks for all the replies, is there any argument to say pull out this cable in the ring and replace the full length? I can do this but it'll be a **** and if a junction box will be fine then i'll go down this route.

As to how did i do it... well it was dusk, i was drilling bore holes for plumbing pipes using a new irwin blue groove auger bit and completely forgot that the cable was tacked to the other side of the joist. Fortunately the circuits aren't live at the minute so no shock for me just some choice words after realising what had happended

13. Hi Steve.

No need to replace the whole cable.

But, as said above, and for the tiny little cost of them, use a maintenance-free JB. These use spring clips to hold the wires rather than screws, so there's no risk of them loosening over time.

Dead easy to use, and jobbie jobbed.

You are lucky that you had spare cable to allow this repair - sod'slaw usually dictates that the damage occurs along a tight stretch of clipped-down cable, with absolutely no spare to play with... :oops:

14. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Ashley/Rock/Hager J803 junction box

Easiest way to do it.

15. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Don't forget the pipe that is to come through the hole. You might not have room for a junction box and particularly if it is a hot water pipe they do not want to be in such close proximity. I personally would investigate replacing the length of cable between adjacent sockets. You might be able to use the damaged cable ends to pull through the new cable.

16. Steve_K

Steve_K New Member

Thanks again for the advise, i went down the route of a wago box. Here's photos of the fix. It's a bit annoying that the connections can only enter from one end but at least it's sorted.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

18. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Nicely done. Is the Wago box screwed in place? And the cable clear of the hole?

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Always handy to have few Wago's spare, never know when you'll need one again...:rolleyes:

20. You should have used an Ashley J803 it would have been a much neater job.Although nothing wrong with it just looks a bit rough.