Ooops.. twin and earth repair

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Steve_K, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I did suggest it earlier ... as cables enter from both ends. and the connections are just as good.

It would have looked better if the cables came together and turned UP into the Wagobox mounted vertically - so no cable wrapping round the box.

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

It's fine. Who is going to be looking at it? (apart from people on here). :) I just think he was lucky to have enough spare cable . Never happened to me.:(

3. mrtutz

mrtutz Member

Could you crimp and heat shrink the two cables together?

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I think he's done it, last week!

5. leeg

leeg New Member

6. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

used them a few times,got me out of trouble recently with the wife lol,she wanted to lower a wall light that was fed in trunking on the other side of the wall,cable was too short but I managed to get a joing in the trunking using those very connectors.

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

They have their uses ... for example, joining two neutrals - feed and to light within a back box, or extending cables where space is restricted. I prefer the Wago Levers though - and it would be nice if Wago made an in-line or back to back one.

KIAB likes this.
  8. leeg

leeg New Member

I agree, wished they did too, but these do have a good grip on the conductor and you can't pull them out again unless you unscrew them. Found a "terminal box" in B&Q today that could be used to protect the connectors from the environment and can be screwed closed.

9. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

All we need now is for him to drill through the Wago next! lol :confused:

KIAB likes this.
  10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I've used these connectors myself to move a socket on the ring following a reshuffle of room layout
    Put the connectors inside the humble choc box and worked for me
    Maintenance free connections, cord grips, in an enclosure, popped under the floorboards and forget

11. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

Is that maintainable free though?
    Wago connectors aren't maintenance free, They only become maintenance free if fitted in suitable enclosure. A wago box is a suitible enclosure and when installed according to the maintenance free instructions, which differ from the normal ones, it becomes maintenance free. Wago connectors in a chock box are not maintenance free. The enclosure has to have a maintenance free Mark on it for it to be maintenance free.

12. Read the instructions to make a Wago box maintenance free and you are quite correct.
    I did not realise about the derating of the connectors when used as maintenance free and the cable tie to keep it closed,having never used one.
    If I have had to use a maintenance free junction box I have always used an Ashley 803 or 804.