Opening fireplace - lintels

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Pawr, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Pawr

Pawr Member

Hello, i am in the process of prepping a bedroom for plastering. Whilst knocking off i uncovered a small fireplace which i would like to plaster inside of and keep as a feature. There is no lintel so i began to put one in but was wondering if i could open up the fireplace wider as in right to the edge. Is this possible? And if so do you stack the lintels like one widthways and one lengthways? And also can the lintel be positioned correctly in the left corner of the picture? It would be nics to make it larger and if i could take it to the last skin of brick on the left id be able to board it easier. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Pawr

Pawr Member

Sorry im trying to uplaod a picture but the file is too big.

3. Pawr

Pawr Member

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Are you wanting to go like this.

2017-04-29 17.51.11.jpg

5. Pawr

Pawr Member

Yes phil. If its possible?

6. Pawr

Pawr Member

Aany ideas guys?o_O

7. Phil the Paver

O yer sorry went away over the weekend and forgot.

Right if you can cut the bricks without disturbing the ones that are to remain then in don't see any problems in doing it like I drew above.

But if you are concered about strength then move it over half a brick.

2017-05-02 20.34.33.jpg

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would take it out where Phil has drawn the vertical blue line. What I would do as well is to turn the ones in red 90 degree and use the ones you take out to make a return this will strengthen the left hand side of the chimney breast and you better surface to plaster

upload_2017-5-2_21-20-50.png

9. Pawr

Pawr Member

Thats good thinking guys, thanks! What about the support for the current return brick set? Can you do a lintel on a lintel? Thanks.

10. Pawr

Pawr Member

Any ideas?

11. Phil the Paver

Not sure what you mean. ??

12. Pawr

Pawr Member

The part that i have circled in the picture will need to be supported as its another row if bricka that go all the way up. So could i put the big lintel going across the front and then another lintel reating on that going backward to the back wall? Thanks.

Attached Files:

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yes.

14. Pawr

Pawr Member

Great thanks very much guys.