Options for exposed cable to floodlight

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Richard Harnwell, May 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell New Member

Hi,

I've just bought a 30W LED LAP slimline floodlight to replace an old halogen fitting. What I hadn't considered, is that the old halogen fitting completely enclosed the cable coming out the wall, whereas this slimline model will necessitate exposed cable. I guess I can't really allow the PVC cable to be exposed?

If that's the case, what are my options? I looks like all the new LED floodlights expose the cable like this. I'm thinking maybe I need to fit a fused spur in the loft (It's a bungalow) with some sort of weather resistant cable going from it outside, or maybe some sort of junction box behind the floodlight?

Also the hole in the brickwork is rather larger than I expected, I guess I'll need to seal around the cable too.

Mind you, I've just noticed some old PIR lights elsewhere on the house have exposed cable already!

Thanks
    Richard

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Picture will show us what we need to know

3. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell New Member

IMG_1266.JPG IMG_1265.JPG

Here's the back of the new fitting showing that the cable will be open between it and the wall, plus the current fitting showing the cable is completely enclosed. Within the unit is standard grey pvc lighting cable.

Sorry about the rotation - it's the right way up on my ipad and I can't work out how to rotate on the forum.

Hope that makes things clearer.

4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

If the existing cable is long enough, ie, you can get more length by pulling more out of the wall, I tend to leave plenty of slack for eventualities such as this, others don't. Then just straight into the LED fitting.
    As for how the light is connected to the mains one would need more information, there are many ways to skin a cat, some adhering to current regs and some not, depends on who originally wired it.
    Either way can you clarify how it is fed at the moment?.
    Wire through wall and just plugged in, wire off lighting circuit, wire through wall and off a fcu off final ring?.
    As for your pics, it's an apple thing, your own fault for going for a manufacturer who has you by the goolies and decide they want to hold you to ransom by going non standard for everything.....just saying

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

looking at the new fitting a small amount of cable will inevitably be visible and exposed to the elements,so you need to provide a drip loop upto the fitting.this prevents water running down the cable .

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

If wiring is fine then install a wiska box on outer wall with T&E inside then use black flex from box to light much neater

7. jde

jde New Member

Remove old light fitting, fit weather proof junction box over exposed cable using back entry, fit new light in slightly different position, use 0.75mm2 flex or 1mm2 t&e to connect between light and junction box

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Many of these led floods come pre wired with around a meter of black flex which is suitable for outside use. It's a rubber type flex which is uv stable and weatherproof (although won't protect against mechanical damage) clipped onto a wall will be fine - technically it's called H07RN-F

Not sure if the LAP is pre wired - its at the budget end of the range (no offence meant)

Either way, use flex supplied or buy some. Take through wall into loft and join to Twin & Earth using a junction box, choc box and strip connector, wago connectors and enclosure, etc (many many ways of making connections these days) . Any connection made using a screw, i.e. Junction box, strip, needs to remain accessible so don't bury under floorboards/ loft boarding. Wagos, as an example are classed as 'maintenance free' so can go under boards etc. As you have access to supply and loft, much neater to make connections here and saves having a weatherproof box on the outside wall

The hole in the wall that it too large, blow out loose dust and fill with either silicon or caulk. Depending on wall finish, can paint (caulk) to match wall colour or if brick, can get various colour silicone to blend in - just depends how visible and fussy you are o_O

I'm only diy myself so may get shot down in flames - let's see eh ! :)

Kreg92 likes this.
  9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Sorry I'm only diy myself but above is bad advice

Regular flex and T&E is not recommended for using exposed outside

Yes the light will work but not correct materials for installation.

10. jde

jde New Member

T&E is fine for outside use in most cases in the uk. Regulation 522.11.1. All cables have some uv protection as well as other qualities. If the uk was on the equator things would be different.

11. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Buy a better light..........

12. I think you will find you are wrong.
    Copied from the Draka Cables website.

Also known as FTE (flat twin and earth) the live and neutral conductors are individually insulated, and the Circuit Protective Conductor (CPC) or earth, is bare. Not suitable for unprotected use outside as the outer sheath materials are vulnerable to attack by UV although protective paint can provide some UV protection.

- See more at: http://www.drakauk.com/twin-and-earth-cable.html#sthash.5Ri1dRke.dpuf

13. jde

jde New Member

All cables have some uv protection. uv levels vary through out the world and time of year. Its a question of scale and proportion. almost every house in the country has t&e on an outside wall, in the vast majority of cases every thing is fine.
    ultra violet light exists where ever there is day light inside or out. Company lawyers have the last say on things but in the uk wiring must be installed in accordance with BS7671. So read regulation 522.11.1 and you will see that it factors in every thing I have just said.

14. If you read the regulation part of it says adequate shielding shall be provided.
    The manufacturer instructions also overrule BS7671 and they state, T&E is not suitable for use unprotected outside.

15. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I agree. T&E is not suitable for outside. The repeated effects of UV and frost and rain and UV and frost and rain and frost will break it down. It goes brittle over time, and fails.

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

So as a diy'er, I'm pretty sure I'm correct about T&E not being exposed outside

The fact that millions of houses may or may not have T&E outside is neither here nor there - don't make the installation correct - just means millions of bad installations that's all. Yes light will work, will work for years and the majority of lights will fail several times before the cable does. Still don't make it right though

Correct materials for job in hand, why risk it with outside leccie

Either buy pre wired light (plenty available) or buy correct cable - H07RN or high tuff

Bloody diy'ers eh :)

Bazza likes this.