Order of first fix work, plumber, electrician, UFH & ASHP installer, fire sprinkler installer,...

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by AliceC, May 24, 2016.

1. AliceC

AliceC New Member

Hi

Im a novice self builder and am trying to get the order for the first fix trades in the right sequence;
    the house is timber framed, so the UFH will be using metal plates installed under the first floor deck. I am thinking we want the metal plates as close to the surface of the first floor deck as possible for max heat transfer? then does the insulation go in? The plasterers are doing the insulation screeding and plastering...or does the insulation go in after the plumbing, electrics and sprinkler system put in? the UFH pipes will be covered in screed on the ground floor. but in the kitchen some electric will run in the floor to an island, does the electric supply run under or over the installed UFH pipes? . So what order do I ask people to come in to do their work?
    I have a separate plumber, electrician, installer for the UFH and ASHP, and fire sprinkler system (because of no firefighter access route!) Any suggestions would be welcome!

2. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

If it was me,I'd try to get all the trades to a sit down together,that way they can go over the drawings and talk it through.
    It's not uncommon for one trade not to fully understand the requirements of another trade and that's when problems can occur.
    Something as inocuous as a wrongly placed pipe or cable can cause major headaches,most tradesmen are happy to discuss what the plan is with other trades,it's much easier to sort a problem when it's on paper rather than when wires and pipes are going in.

KIAB likes this.
  3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Obvioulsy you want to get the trades in to do one "hit" of first fix and have to do multiple visits

Do you have all the locations for sockets, switches and plumbing marked out on the walls ?

In terms of sequence it depends where you are in terms of the first floor and ground floor have they been boarded or partitioned walled yet ?

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Getting trades to work together can be a nightmare, when all that is needed, is a little co-operation & discussion between trades,can make things run smoothly.
    Biggest problem I found was electrics, & positions of switches/ sockets, especially in kitchen & utility.
    Did a job years ago, put drops in for kitchen, agreed with lady of house for all sockets, only for here to change her mind, as to their positions for them barely 2 weeks later, had to do a compete rewire.:mad:
    Normally you install first floor deck first, then install ufh for 1st floor, insulation,then 1st fix electric plumbing,easy to before ground floor ceilings are in.

Slightly wandering,:oops: have you visited The National Self Build and Renovation Centre,Swindon, great source of info.

http://www.buildstore.co.uk/mykindofhome/index.html

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    philthespark likes this.
  5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

[QUOTE="KIAB, post: 1423677, member: 124622" agreed with lady of house for all sockets, only for her to change her mindl[/QUOTE]

Two weeks to change her mind - and you were surprised, amazed it took that long ....

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Two weeks to change her mind - and you were surprised, amazed it took that long ....[/QUOTE]

For a woman, yes...:rolleyes:

Kitchen had be removed & refitted, poor tiler had to completely retile the kitchen.:(