Organizing Power tool leads

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Jitender, May 21, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Trying to keep tool leads in order. After using power tool I wind the cable in a coil which usually gets string or cable ties to secure the cable. Used worn cable ties so are quite easily undone.

General tools like sander, hedge trimmer. If the drill is not used then goes into case if tool came with one. For me its easier to place on shelf so are easily available.

What do people do with theirs? :)

Looking at using velcro straps? somethings that's reusable.

2. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Those Velcro ties are pretty good cos they can stay on the lead. Or you could use re-useable cable ties. I'd go Velcro I think, except nearly all my kit is now cordless :)

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Saw these on Amazon, think I will get a pack.

Just trying to keep everything tidy.

KIAB likes this.
  4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Like most people, I have gone cordless for the majority of my tools. The corded tools I use daily Router, Sander, circular saw are all Festool which has the feature where you unplug the power cord from the tool when not in use. So you only end up using one cord.

All the other tools table saw, mitre saws dust extractor, bobbin sander etc all have cords but live on mobile bases with their own cable management.

5. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

Are those Velcro? Maplin sell reusable cable ties which don`t use Velcro and last for years.

6. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

How do I justify a bobbin sander to the present Mrs Eckerslike? All suggestions gratefully received.

7. WillyEckerslike

I use similar ties on most of my corded kit - they don't last forever though. I have found that by coiling from the tool end of the machine, twisting the cable twixt thumb and finger as I lay each loop whilst carefully allowing the plug to rotate/unwind as it is drawn towards the machine allows for a tangle and twist free coil - no figures of eight....

8. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I could but not on this sort of forum :oops:

I got it during one of those 20% off promotions from our host. It was about £109 at the time and only paid £87. I don't use it that often but when I do it is really useful especially at the weekend when I had to make some of these it came in really useful. upload_2017-5-22_13-2-54.png

KIAB and WillyEckerslike like this.
  10. WillyEckerslike

Perhaps I might have worded my original question so that it wasn't so suggestive..... It's one of those tools that's invaluable on rare occasions I suspect. Ooer missus, there I go again.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Went for a pack of velcro straps, seems to have done the job.

Takes a few extra seconds to tidy up after use. Trying to keep on top of keeping things in order and making sure they go back in the right place.:)

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Buy her something lovely(but unfortunately needs tidying up).
    Only tool to do that job is the one you suggest.

14. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Hi what festool router do you have? I'm looking at the 2200 eb + but thinking of the 1400 is capable of a masons mitre on a laminate worktop then may opt for that instead as the 2200 looks pretty bulky

15. MR DIAZ

MR DIAZ Active Member

KIAB likes this.
  16. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I've got the 1400, done two kitchens with it. It's got loads of power for its size and weight.

It beats the Dewalt by miles.

KIAB likes this.
  17. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Ideal cheers, I have the 2200 hitachi and it's rediculusly heavy and the makita but got the ts55 and think the guide rail system with the router would make life so much easier did your 1400 come with the guide rail attachment?

18. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I prefer to use 16A 2pin & Earth 240v blue plugs/sockets.

upload_2017-6-18_8-58-55.jpeg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

also a good choice i however was thinking of compactness (ie fitting in the case the tool came in) these are also great http://media.rs-online.com/t_large/F1576520-01.jpg rated up to 20amp and sold by most per half and not a mated pair (so only buy what you need) mostly used in lighting installs (seams a shame given 20amp rating)