OSB board

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by RHL, Nov 8, 2014.

1. RHL

RHL New Member

Hi

My first post so not sure if this is the correct forum to place this in.

I have been building my shed / workshop and have used OSB board for flooring and roof. I bought these over a year ago and were left in the garden covered with plastic sheets, somehow water manage to get in and has effected the edges of the boards. Is it still okay for these to be used for roofing and will be covered with roofing felt. or is it not worth using them at all. I noticed the edges are slightly crumbly on some. I have used one board like that for roof and nailed it with galvanised nails and they seems to keep that in place. Do I need to redo this or it will be fine so long it don't get any more water damage. these are currently dry.

Also when used on the flooring for the shed, I covered that with water proof membrane while I build the roof, however water did manage to went through. I don't seen any particular sign of water damage at the moment while I'm fixing the roof but wondering if I have to do re-do the flooring again or is there any way to minimise the damage in future by topping up with another layer of OSB Board, etc.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. Are you using 18mm roofing grade OSB,
    OSB is fairly good stuff will take a lot i wouldn't worry as long as its dry now and still feels solid

3. RHL

RHL New Member

Thanks, it does seem pretty solid, I have been able to stand over them without much trouble while the been placed over joists / pitch roof. My major concern is that before I put the felt down is it worth replacing them or should I just leave and hope for the best.

They seem dry and look solid and quite heavy, I think they are 18mm to 22mm as not sure of the exact.

4. They will be fine if solid and dry if you can keep them dry with some good felting will last along time I would definitely leave them

5. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

sorry to hi-jack thread but i will be building shed sometime in the near future.
    so osb is better than exterior ply for shed floor and roof?

6. I'd say OSB is definitely not better, but likely a lot cheaper.

Exterior ply ain't cheap. But decent stuff should cope with pretty much anything, whether covered or not!

If you make a good job of felting the roof, then OSB should be fine. And it should be especially ok for the floor as that shouldn't get wet at all. (I mean, you'll be walking in with wet boots and stuff so it'll have damp patches, but it shouldn't left permanently soaked...)

If you are happy to compromise and spend the extra, then perhaps ext ply for the roof and OSB for the floor?

FatHands likes this.
  7. RHL

RHL New Member

Thanks for the response, unfortunately some of the flooring OSB was soaked for few days even it was covered with decent plastic sheeting. not sure what and how the water manage to penetrate through that. We did uncover it during the day to dry them out and then cover them back over nights and left them like that, for a week while it rained. Now I've the roof up and the floor don't get soaked which is good, also so far it doesn't show much sigh of anything wrong apart from some water stains but I'm not sure if they are just visual or if its deeper, they do look strong at the moment thought with no visible change in their shape.

8. TartanPaint

TartanPaint Member

Second that. I re-roofed my old shed with 18mm exterior ply when the original OSB roof fell in due to a leak. A few years later the shed walls part collapsed but the roof was like new! Its a shame when expensive roofing outlasts the cheap building ;)