Outdoor Light installation

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Greg Tunney, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

Do these look ok? You may need to zoom in a little to see the tape.

image.jpg

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Looks ok to me, as I said though, make sure there's no 'wood' in the way, I have found in the past that even if a roof truss is in line, that by moving the intended light position back towards the house slightly you can gain enough depth for the fitting, reiterate, all in the prep tbh mate.

3. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

That will be down to the electrician as he'll be the one fitting it. Hopefully he doesn't hit wood.

4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Ah, so an electrician is actually going to do the work now?, so my comments could actually be taken as 'sucking eggs'?, leave the sparky to do what he's best at, like me, a little bit of ambiguity in previous posts possibly, lol.

5. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

Yes an electrician has always been die to do the work. I can drill a few holes and swap an outside light when cables are already in place but laying fresh ones is out of my remit. I'll leave that to the pros.

6. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

Got another quick question for any sparkies online.

I've found these lights - http://www.screwfix.com/p/aurora-fixed-led-white-50w-240v/31521?_requestid=45061

and was going to have it wired up to this dusk sensor / timer - http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-standalone-night-sensor-photocell/29790

Now in the instructions for the sensor it states this
    Incandescant 500W
    Tungsten Halogen 1000W
    Fluorescent 250W
    CFL (energy saving lamps) 200W

Which category above would the led lights linked fit into? As i'll be having 7 lights the photocell needs to be able to handle 350w so if the LEDs are CFL the one above would be no good, correct?

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

LED's are light emitting diodes so they don't fit any of those categories!

8. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

Thanks for the reply, so will the above lights be ok with the above dusk sensor /timer?

I'm guessing the 50w is a max for this unit and the LEDs are no where near that but I'm struggling to find out the wattage of the bulbs supplied.

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Did you mean 50 watts minimum? I doubt whether led's would pull enough current to activate the sensor.

10. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

That's a typo on the screwfix site, there is no way those lamps are 50w LED's probably more like 5, but I would check directly with them. Personally I would also try and find out the beam angle, some LED's have a very narrow beam and won't light up the area very well

11. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

No 50w max. As in a GU10 50w bulb Max.

Surely all the dusk sensor is doing is stopping the current getting to the lights when the desired light level is above what i've set?

Or have I got this completely wrong?

I can't find any minimum load for the sensor.

12. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Just seen that there are 6W units that are only 12mm deep!

Google
    6 Watt - Slimline High Output LED Ceiling Light

13. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

For anybody who is interested in this my sparky was around yesterday and fitted the downlights.

Installation was really simple only taking 2 hours, no joists in the way and went from the fuse box in the garage then into the soffit.

Went for 7 lights in total, all centered above each aspect on the front of the house, 3 above garage, 1 above door and 3 above window. This was to give it the most uniform look.

They're wired up to a Dusk sensor and switch off after x hours which i can set between 1-8 hours.

Really happy with the outcome, here is a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Looks very nice Greg.

Greg Tunney likes this.
  15. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Yeah, nice one Greg! When you say two hours: did you do any preparation for that?

16. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

Nope nothing, the job was so simple.

There was already a slight hole in the mortar which we we're able to feed the cable through into the soffit from the garage.

Measure up and drill all the holes for the spots, feed cables through and wire up.

17. FatHands

Job done!

18. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

Yup now just trying to think of ways we can do the top soffit / gable. Access is quite hard due to the lower roof.

19. FatHands

Easiest way would be to take a feed from the upstairs lighting i guess, but bear in mind any issues with them will take your RCD/RCBO out.

20. Greg Tunney

Greg Tunney Member

I can get a cable up there as it would just spur off from the dusk sensor. When I said access is difficult I meant physical access.

It's hard to get up there to drill holes due to the lower pitched roof. It puts the ladders at a very shallow angle.