Outdoor socket

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by simon wilkins89, Apr 7, 2014.

1. simon wilkins89

simon wilkins89 New Member

Hi im after some advice is it perfectly safe for me to buy an rcd plug and plug into a indoor socket then buy 15meters of 3core 2.5mm flex connect it to the rcd plug and run outdoors along my garage roofing joist then to a outdoor switched 2g socket whitch is under a bit of shelter so not really in the rain!!.It will only really be used for hedge cutters to cut my hedge and is it ok if i just wired a outdoor light with a 3pin plug and plugged it in to outdoor socket just for light when im in my garden any advice thanks

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Terminating 2.5mm in a plug isn't something I would want to try. Outside sockets need to be properly rated for the job and twin and skin shouldn't be run unprotected outside. Dog rough job imo.

3. simon wilkins89

Forgot to mention the cable will not be exposed to weather it will be under shelter all the way to outdoor socket whitch is also under shelter

4. simon wilkins89

Why not 2.5mm to a plug im unsure thats why im asking for advice cheers

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Plugs are meant for flex, not 2.5mm twin and earth. Is this a windup?

6. simon wilkins89

No i ment 2.5mm 3 core flex

7. Biochef

Biochef Member

Why ask ? your going to do it anyway
    At least it's got rcd protection

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I have a out door socket in a box that I plug my motorcycle trickle charger into, that only comes into the house with a plug on it plugged into a socket, I just deem it as an extension lead, wrong I'm sure, but power taken is minimal. :oops:

9. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

"power taken is minimal" - What has that got to do with safety?

This whole "I only use it for the hedge trimmer" thing is what gets me - Why does it matter what it's used for? It still has to be installed safely and to a good standard whether it is feeding a hedge trimmer, bouncy castle, or a george foreman grill!

I am not saying some flex from an RCD protected plug is going to be dangerous, but it's certainly a bodge.

10. Biochef

Biochef Member

Not to mention if your dog or cat or even next doors chews or damages cable it can kill them animals can be killed with a small current
    And introduce a lethal current in damp conditions even if it's using up a small amount of juice it's still at mains voltage
    I knew of someone killed by (temporary) extenction in damp condictions
    I have in the past ran an outdoor socket with flex and rcd protection but it was straight through wall to large ge-wiz box designed for outdoor Christmas lights
    In short so is your or someone else's live

11. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

there's probably millions of meters of cable run is this horribly non complaint manner all over the Country, it's far from ideal, but you've got more chance of being injured whilst driving to a supplier of extension leads and buying one of a suitable length, I've excluded from the above assumption the risk assessment required to factor in any hazards which may be encountered whilst reeling out and reeling back in your apparently intermittently required source of external power

12. Biochef

Biochef Member

It's not a problem using extensions I use them all the time it's just that such a set up tends to be left energised for months or even years at a time I've no problem with simon running his extension in that way if he is switching off or unplugging when not in use

13. Phil the Paver

While I appreciate that it may not comply with regs, how is a 4 metre length of 2.5 arctic cable securely fitted along a wall connected to a ip65 rated socket which is fitted inside a waterproof box, any less safe than an extension lead which is just laying on the floor being walked all over by gods knows who on a site.

14. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

because far to many people think that anything that isn't "standard" or "common" is a bodge...

15. Lectrician

And far too many people try to justify bodging. If you feel happy with the bodge, go for it. As I said, I am not saying it's danerous, just a bodgy install method.

16. Phil the Paver

I don't disagree it's not the right way in terms of regs, but all fitted properly isn't really a bodge is it, having a extension lead laying on the floor in all weather's unprotected is a bodge and dangerous.

By the very fact it's just plugged in, does it even come under regs because it's not permanent.???, that's a genuine question by the way, not a sarky comment.

17. Lectrician

What do you class as "fixed"? If something is fixed to a wall, but plugged in, is it "fixed"? Surely it is then "fixed wiring", and comes under BS7671. That's the way I see it.

You could run a hose pipe from your tap inside, to a tap outside, cleating the pipe along the wall. Would a plumber call that a bodge? ;)

FatHands likes this.
  18. Phil the Paver

Fair point, that a fixed wire may come under the regs, that's why I asked. ;)

19. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

in reading this on my phone so it takes a while to scroll through all the posts but running theory seems to be its a bodge if its plugged in via an rcd plug.. Well that's ridiculous. Its no different then fitting an rcd spur alongside the socket, a rcd spur to match the socket may look nicer but its not a bodge to use a plug. Providing of course that in both instances suitable flex and installation methods are used.

20. Phil the Paver

The only difference I can see is that armoured cable isn't being used, but if as in my case the cable is secured out of harms way then I don't see the problem, but if regs says it wrong then that's what should be complied with I suppose.