Oven cable length

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Janmac42, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Janmac42

Janmac42 New Member

I need to place my oven facing where the oven plug socket is already, it says it is a 1.5mm i need which I have purchased and it is a 13am plug, for my single fan oven, I would have to run the cable under my units which is just over 3 meters, is this possible any information appreciated

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Is the cable you purchased 1.5 T + E?

3. Janmac42

Janmac42 New Member

4. Janmac42

Janmac42 New Member

Hi

The cable is 1.5mm and blue,brown,green cable, it says use for washing machines extensions etc: just noticed that in small writing max 240v 16amps, 384w, 3 core round flex says use 8mm clips, but I can go back and change if not right I guess.
    Thanks

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmmmm vd calcs all ok - never done that sort of thing before but I suppose if it is clipped etc to the underside of the cabs then it would be ok..not ideal by any means, but within reg parameters it should be ok Jan. Is the cable you purchased Butyl or similar? The cable should be able to resist oil and grease and have an elevated working temperature..ie heat resistant cable. I would think the oven manufacturer would stipulate this tbqh.

Is rcd protection evident?

6. Janmac42

Janmac42 New Member

Does not give any other information other than what I stated, there where the grey flat wires but they are more for hard wiring to an oven, they was in the next section of electrical at b n q, someone stated that the max length for oven wire was 2 meters but mine is going to be just over 3 meters so don't want to cause any fire or injury if that would cause it by using a meter more length

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Wait for the qualified electrical technicians to answer Jan as I am diy only.

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hello - is the forum working?

9. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Janmac42: It's absolutely fine. The flex you have is by far a better option than using flat twin & earth cable.

JP does have a habit of waffling on and then ending with "...wait for someone qualified". Bless 'im.

[edit]There is no 'max length' of cable stipulated for cookers in any regulation.[/edit]

10. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

JP, don't sell yourself short, as Mr Stateit, one appears to be above average in the electrical score, diy or not you seem to be smarter than the average bear:)

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

There is for the switch though, isn't there?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Cheers Mr R - bit difficult to advise sometimes because there's always the thought of not be an electrician, and what seems logical might constitute a reg breach etc. Anyway time for a beer..:)

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Wot u mean HA?..:)

14. Mr. Handyandy

The cooker isolation switch should be within 2 metres of the appliance.
    (in relation to the statement about cookers)
    Innit?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I've heard of that rule HA and to me it seems illogical. Why? Lets say Jans other half is cooking a joint in the oven and all of a sudden it erupts into a gigantic bol of flames because she forget to turn the temp down, and it is about 2 hrs into cooking time - is switching orff the switch within 2 meters of the flaming bol going to suddenly negate the flames? No - but a fire extinguisher will.

I rest my case.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  16. Mr. Handyandy

Your first point of call should be to neutralise the heat source.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Fair nuff HA but the joint fire does not rely on electrical input to maintain the flaming joint. The oven elements have initiated flame sequence, and turning them off will not negate. Yes of course turn the switch off and the switch could be 4 meters away, but what the heck - the only way to curb the flaming dinner in the oven is to use a dry powder type extinguisher

18. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

BS7671 is purely guidance, not mandatory, common sense should prevail.

I would not unduly worry about an an extra meter to be perfectly honest.

Use your noggins peeps.

19. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

There is no BS7671 reg saying it has to be within 2m.
    The oft-quoted 'rule of thumb' is 2m, meaning it is within easy access of the appliance. But it ain't a reg. Nor is the 'rule of thumb'.

20. Janmac42

Janmac42 New Member

Thanx to all you guys who gave your information, I will add a 2.5mm if that makes it a bit safer, cable getting to warm etc: I will put it in and just keep an eye on my meat, and not my partner I don't have one lol, that's why I do the work myself, I'm good at many things but electrical is a no no, but it's a plug and play so I can do that.
    Thanx again