Oven cable question

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Coloumb, Aug 28, 2014.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Guys, when you fit an oven do you just push the oven into the cabinet without worrying too much about the cable? If it ended up touching the oven I mean. I was just wondering as those ovens can get pretty hot, espec. the self cleaning ones. I do try to keep it out of the way but I don't go to any special lengths myself tbh.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I do try to tuck it back out of the way as much as possible but it's usually a bit of a job to get the oven in whilst you have your arm in there trying to position the cable! I don't worry too much tbh, the oven covers do usually have quite a bit of insulation inside to keep the heat in.

FatHands likes this.
  3. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As Sen.

4. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

You should be using something like HO7-RNF, as directed in most manufacturers instructions. This would happily sit on the hot surface of an oven. PVC not so.

The ovens don't get as hot as you may imagine - They are mounted in a chipboard "box" essentially!

FatHands likes this.
  5. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

99% of cookers I come across are wired in 6mm T&E, never seen a 'molten' cable yet, but 'Spose there's time, lol.

6. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Tbh I've only done less than a handfull but the ones I have done have come with have come with HO5 which is rated up to 75 degrees. I've only ever used 6mm PVC on cookers and just kept it well away from everything elses.