Oven & hob supply

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by StevieT, Nov 1, 2015.

1. StevieT

StevieT New Member

Hi there,

I am just about to start to referb my kitchen and the boss has decided she wanted to go for a ceramic hob and twin ovens this time to replace the old dual fuel electric oven oven and gas hob.
    Now I understand the new 32a hob will need to go on the existing 32a 6mm supply, but what do I do about the new twin ovens which are 16a each? Do I need to get someone in to put me two new supplies in for these or can they both be fed from one new 6mm supply via 45 switch. Or can they be fed from the existing 32a kitchen ring main?
    I'm just thinking/planning ahead as I will need some plastering doing and if new feeds are needed then I would obviously like to get this done first.

Thanks in advance
    Steve

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If the total wattage of the hob plus both ovens is under 15kW they can all run off of the existing supply, assuming that it's a 6.00mm cable. (or bigger)

Walter System and StevieT like this.
  3. StevieT

StevieT New Member

Hi Seneca thanks for your swift reply,

The Hob is 6.7kW and the ovens 2.3kW each which makes a total of 11.3kW so yes together they are under 15kW and the cable is 6mm.
    So if it's OK to run all three off the same supply via the 45a switch then it would make the job a lot easier and cheaper!

Thanks again
    Steve

4. StevieT

StevieT New Member

Ok, so I can run the hob and the two ovens all of the same existing supply but do I need to get the existing 32amp mcb changed to a higher rating or will it be ok?
    Also will it be ok to have all three on at the same time?

Thanks

5. Walter System

Walter System Member

11,300 watts divide by 230 volts = 49.13 amps.
    Fit a 60 amp mcb. Or if there is no RCD on the system fit an RCBO which is an RCD and an mcb combined. A 50 amp maybe too borderline.
    The 6mm cable can take 60 amps maximum.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  6. steverod

steverod New Member

Sadly no where near as simple as that. The OP has to allow for derating factors that may apply depending on how the cable is routed.

Phil Hyde likes this.
  7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You are allowed a diversity factor. A simular situation came up a while back but I still think the best, and ONLY way is to run three separate feeds from the cu for each appliance. RCD protection will also be required I expect.

8. Phil Hyde

Phil Hyde Active Member

Sorry to disagree but when need more information before you can make a decision. What is the distance from fuse board to switch. And how does the cable run is it clipped direct In an insulated wall?? Current rating on 6mm twin and earth is around 45amps depending on how its fitted!!

9. Walter System

Walter System Member

If it were me, I would use the existing cable for the hob and run two separate cable for each over back to the CU using RCBOs on each. Divide and rule.

10. steverod

steverod New Member

Would you get a qualified spark in to test and certify the work, certify yourself or just not bother and cross your fingers?

11. Walter System

Walter System Member

The regs say you need to. A commercial electrician who does not have Part P has to get one in for work in his own house. Silly of course.

12. Phil Hyde

Phil Hyde Active Member

I,m a commercial sparks with 2391 inspection and testing and did some work on my house that was covered by building control. The guy was more than happy to except my certificate and test results

13. Walter System

Walter System Member

The following are notifiable:
    • Installing a new circuit
    • Replacement of a consumer unit.
    All other electrical installation tasks are not notifiable. Changing an accessory like a light fitting or switch does not count as an alteration. All other electrical installation is not notifiable. Some tasks that were included in the earlier versions of the Part P such as work in kitchens, and alterations to outdoor installations are not notifiable.

For work that is notifiable and certified:
    1. It can be completed and certified by an electrician or registered "competent person" that is a member of a Part P self-certification scheme.
    2. Work can be completed by anyone, under supervision of the the local BCO. The building control body issues a certificate.
    3. Work can be completed by anyone, and certified by a registered third party electrician.
    All domestic DIY electrical work is allowable even CU replacement. All DIY work should be completed to the Wiring Regs. A DIYer just gets a Part P electrician to certify.

He can put in two extra circuits and get a Part P man to certify. He can use the existing cable, if suitable, and not notify.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  14. Walter System

Walter System Member

The BCO can certify. If he thinks the man on site is 'competent', he can just accept it. But you cannot self certify.

15. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Not so Walter. It depends which part of the country you are in. Wales haven't changed the rules and the original Part P stands.

Kind regards

Walter System likes this.
  16. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Diversity guidelines for cooker circuits: First 10A + 30% of remaining Amps (+5A if socket incorporated on switch plate).

So rating for circuit is 21.7A from your figures.

seneca likes this.
  17. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Sounds like the others haven't heard of diversity Stateit !

18. Walter System

Walter System Member

You are right the diversity factor guide gives 21.7A. As it is a guide I would not take any notice of it in this case. It is to assess the maximum demand for an installation or circuit. It allows all a system's circuits to draw more than say 60A when there is a 60A main fuse. It assumes that the probability of all circuits being fully loaded is near to zero. This applied to a ring circuit. A ring may have ten socket outlets and a 32A mcb. If you plug in ten 2.7kW kettles to each socket and then switch them all on, the mcb will trip as the probability of this event is near zero.

In this case, if the two ovens and all rings on the hob are on for quite a time cooking a big dinner, there will be problems if the diversity factor is applied to this circuit. The mcb is undersized. It will trip. The probability of all rings and two ovens being all on at the same time is high. The diversity factor is NOT applicable in the circuit for this case. It will come into being for the whole system.

So what I wrote stands.

The diverity factor in assessing the limit in a gas installation is to allow the appliances to draw more gas than what the limit of the meters is rated at - 6 cu metres/hr. The meter has a 100% overload, so the odd occurrence of running over 6 cu ft/hr will not harm the meter.

19. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

The figures Stateit quoted are for "domestic cooking equipment", as stated in BS7671, this is the reason they mention the 13 amp socket. (because cooker outlets often have a 13 amp socket incorporated) The diversity calculations for complete installations are a different matter.

Walter System likes this.
  20. Walter System

Walter System Member

Diversity is only applied when there is more than one circuit, the diversity is for the incoming power supply rather than the individual circuit.

The consumer unit will probably have a 100A incomer mains switch with 100A main fuse. But if you add up the individual mcb's you will notice that they will exceed the size of the 100A main incomer. The diversity factor will take it under the 100A as it assumes none of these circuit will be drawing maximum current at the same time. If they were drawing 95% of the mcb rating the main fuse would blow.