Oven Tripping - HELP

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by katesitch, Oct 9, 2013.

1. katesitch

katesitch New Member

Hi

I have a Zanussi built in oven that seems intent on tripping the electrics everytime the oven or grill reaches the desired temperature. Oven and grill heat up fine but as soon as the desired temperature is reached the thermostat pilot light "clicks" off and all the electrics trip. Does it sound like a faulty thermostat?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. 

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi Kate,

do you know if its the breaker tripping, or the RCD (assuming you have one)? If unsure, take a photo of your consumer unit and we can clarify.

Either way, it sounds like the Oven needs looking at.

Cheers

Fats

3. katesitch

katesitch New Member

Thanks for your quick response.

It's tripping the RCD.

Thanks

4. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Hmmmmm - sounds like a capacitive imbalance when the stat turns off (when it has reached set temperature)

5. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Sounds more like a faulty element to me, sometimes the leakage to earth gets worse when the element gets hot.

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That would be the obvious answer wouldn't it Wally.

7. Kate, it is almost certainly a faulty element as Wally says. Almost certainly. Almost beyond doubt. Almost, almost, almost...

Which is good news.

To diagnose properly, you'd need to fully disconnect (both wires) each element in turn and see when the problem stops. Then replace that element from a cheap on-line supplier.

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I did think twice before mentioning the elements as it sounds like it's happening on 2 different elements, but usually both elements share the same neutral connection so if the leakage is near to the neutral end that might explain things.

9. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Kate
    could be faulty rcd.
    Faulty stat,  wiring or element.
    It could be a standing earth leakage on the rest of the system (20ma say) and the  stat operation just tips it.
    Best to get a good sparks in to do some checks for you.
    RS

10. J.P.

J.P. New Member

Could be a faulty stat RS as posted in your fault synopsis - please ref earlier post..cheers m8..;)

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I suppose one way to check if it's the high temperature(when the fault shows), is to start it heating, then turn down the stat gently til it clicks off.
    If it trips when the element is not yet hot, it may be the stat.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Sen, exactly the problem I had with my oven - it tripped the RCD regardless of which element was being used, and there are 5 in the oven. I was doing my nut trying to make sense of it, at first narrowing it down on the only thing they all had in common - the case cooling fan which came on with every setting. Which I duly ripped out and dismantled.

Only to ask on here and was told that an imbalance in the common neutrals could also trip the RCD. Hey-ho. Disconnected each element in turn and found it was a grill one that was 'leaking'. But tripped even when only the circular fan element was fired up.

Really had me going grrrrrr.

'Stats rarely go wrong, and even more rarely will it be a leak-to-earth fault. Ditto with everything else - an 'earth' fault will usually be a biggie if anything at all.

That leaves the pesky elements, which can leak 'chust a wee bit'. Often if not used for some time - there will be moisture in the core which is enough.

13. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

If it is truly tripping as the thermostat switches, then I would say it is not simply the insulation resistance dropping as the elements heat.  It is the switching action causing it.  Elements do often show fine when cool, but once heated and turned off, the insulation resistance is way down.

I would check the polarity of the cooker.  With reverse polarity, the thermostat switching the neutral is known to trip the RCD due to capacitive coupling between the N and E.

14. senileoldgit

senileoldgit New Member

Lectrician, You're not wrong but this would not necessarily be corespondent to the thermostat kicking in, so it's more likely to faulty contacts in the thermostat causing arcing, that is tripping the RCD.

15. senileoldgit

senileoldgit New Member

sorry Lectrician I should have reply to Wally's post. Perhaps I'm the wally