Over-mirror light with combined or separate shaver socket?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Possom, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Possom

Possom Member

I noticed on the Homebase/B&Q websites that there really isn't a market for over-mirror bathroom lights which have a built-in shaver socket.

There are many listed on eBay/Amazon.

Do you find you install mostly separate over-mirror lights with a separate shaver socket in bathrooms? As opposed to a combi light with built-in shaver socket?

If this is the case, why might this be?

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Never fitted an over mirror light - personally I think they look naff. However that aside if I did fit one (which I never would) then it would be a light only unit with the shaver socket to the left or right hand side of the mirror and not Incorporated into the light unit.

Why might this be? Answer : - aesthetics

Possom likes this.
  3. Possom

Possom Member

Hmmm...I hadn't thought about over-mirror lights looking naff.

So, is your preference for simply a standard bathroom mirror, or perhaps for the mirrors I've seen advertised which have LEDs inset around the sides?

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Possom I'm no expert on that sort of thing. Myself in my shower room I have fitted just a plain bevelled mirror with the satin chrome shaver socket placed on the rh side of it, the JCC led down lights in the ceiling just light it up tbqh Really not into ritz situations and stuff.

Possom likes this.
  5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Many years ago when I use to design and fit the electrics in Hampsted gaffs, in some cases the ladys of the houses asked me to fit Ritz lights around mirrors (you know ses golf balls around the sides and top) I fitted them and they were over the moon and they said thanks and stuff. When it was time to leave after the work was finished I use to look at the lit mirrors and think ''wot a load of ol'' and just walked out onto the next job.

Possom likes this.
  6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

The only place you see these type of lights now is care homes and they hard to replace as they being phased out, esp with mirrors coming with inbuilt lights