Overboarding Ceilings

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Steve_K, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Steve_K

Steve_K New Member

I'm about to start a new renovation project. The house i've purchased stinks of cigarette smoke / tar.

Should i

a. over board the existing ceilings without stripping the paper off and hope the smell is contained
    b. over board the existing ceiling after stripping the paper
    c. pull the old ceiling down then board the ceilings from scratch

Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pulled the lot down & start afresh,tobacco smel can linger for months,a good opportunity then to lag any central pipes, water pipe to stop any rattling.
    Also worth while using 12.7mm plasterboard instead of the thinner 9.5mm plasterboard.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If the ceilings are in good order simply paint over the nicotine with 2 coats of Clasidur paint as this will seal the nicotine smell and provide you with an excellent finish, you will have no further problems with a tobacco smell. It is quite an expensive product but much quicker and cheaper on what you intend to do.

4. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

having done both in the last few years, I am super-happy with my new ceiling, and siwh I had pulled down my over-boarded ceiling. The finish is fine, but it has cracked a tiny bit around my loft architrave, and it feels like I need one of those 12" drillbits when putting new light fittings in!

seriously though, it finishes fine. I'd be more bothered about the smell getting into the chipboard - we've replaced carpet and underlay in one room, and in weather like this, it reappears!

5. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Do the ceilings need to come down? If not you can hire an ozone ioniser,this will remove any smells,from smoke to sewage from everything in the room/building.