overflow running

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dave bickley, Sep 24, 2016.

1. dave bickley

dave bickley New Member

Overflow runs after about an hour of inactivity. House has no wet system heating just 2 x immersion in single cylinder tank with overflow and return tank in loft serving 1x sink 1 x whb and 1 bath & wc. Renewed all taps all mixers tank gradually fills takes about an hour and then overflows until hot is used then repeat. Put new ballvalve in header tank does it whether cylinder hot or cold immersions on or off. Seems to be back surging up cold outlet from header tank and gradually filling tank to overflow same now as before renewed everything - any clues?? Can i put a non return valve on the flow from header or will that cause other problems??

2. You seem to have carried out all the essential checks.

I'm not familiar with this kind of system, but presume the hot taps are supplied from the cylinder - which in turn is fed from the cold storage tank, so under gravity pressure - but the cold taps are fed direct from the mains?

If so, and the hot cylinder has not other connection to it (no wet heating coil), then it must surely be cold mains water doing as you say - leaking in to the hot cylinder and hence up to the CWS (does the water up there feel warmer when this overflowing happens?)

How much water comes out the overflow - I'm guessing chust a trickle?

Anyhoo, I can only think it's a mixer tap somewhere - some device that shares the hot and cold.

You've replaced all the taps you say - silly Q: are there isolating valves on the pipes to these taps (cough - as there should be)? If so, turn the cold one off on each mixer tap in turn and see how that affects the situation - hopefully you'll find the culprit.

How is your washing machine plumed in? You don't have a 'cold feed' machine which someone has used a hot/cold tee on have you? (You can get these for the opposite reason - to supply both the hot and cold inlest of a W/M from only the cold supply - I wonder if some twit has fitted this t';other way around?

So, Qs:

1) Are hot taps from cylinder and cold from mains?
    2) Is W/M connected ok?
    3) Any 'wet system' heating coil in the hot cylinder?
    4) Have isolating valves been fitted to your new tap supplies?

Can't think of anything else... :rolleyes:

3. dave bickley

dave bickley New Member

Hi thanks for your reply really baffling this one, answers are
    1) yes
    2) yes off cold feed
    3) no
    4) no think this is going to be next step if cold mains is leaching up the gravity cold feed from the feed/overflow tank supplying the cylinder via a hot/ mixer can I not just put a non return on this pipe to keep the water in the cold feed? Or will that cause some unwanted pressure elsewhere its even got my Plumber beat!!

4. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    You may have what's called a thermal store,

The water in the cylinder is fed from the header tank, and heated via, day / night rate emmersion elements,

A coil is fitted in the cylinder and is mains fed, the therma mass heats the coil and gives hot water at mains pressure

If the coil develops a leak, or will start to fill the header tank, this would be constant,

So,... It may be the ball valve is set too high to allow the water to expand in the thermal store, and is causing the intermittent overflow,

Regards
    Peter

5. dave bickley

dave bickley New Member

Thanks Peter is the coil part of the tank or a separate part that can be replaced if it is leaking?

6. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    The coil is part of the cylinder, if you look carefully and figure out the pipe that supply's the cold in and hot out, there is often a blending vale fitted?

If not I may have assumed wrong and it's not a thermal store

Regards
    Peter

7. dave bickley

dave bickley New Member

Will have a close look tomorrow thanks for the replies

8. Hmm, good point.

Dave, can you post a photo of the cylinder? (Set your camera to 3MP so's the pic comes out at less than 2MP - which is what you need for this forum.)

As for it being the taps, I can't see it happening unless the taps are actually turned on! :oops:

Unless you have one of these thermostatic blender types with the blender/mixer under the bath?

9. dave bickley

dave bickley New Member

At the property tomorrow so will do then - thanks

10. dave bickley

dave bickley New Member

Finally sorted appears the new kitchen mixer taps were faulty allowing mains pressure cold to hot side, ultimately there were 2 faults one with the original ball valve replaced and then the new taps appearing as an unsolved original fault, pretty unlucky and very baffling for a while but thanks for all your comments etc.