overhead telephone cable

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by et, Jun 9, 2004.

1. et

et Member

Can anyone tell me where I can buy cable suitable for overhead telephone installation, also what method is used to support the ends, also any regs re height length etc. the application is private land no vehicle access. about 20m distance between buildings. Thanx ET

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

You need CW1128, it is self supporting, and needs 'pre formed stays' for either end. (like a spiral of steel that wraps around the cable).

3. Notan Xpert

Notan Xpert New Member

4. Lectrician

Good link shed, what about the stays online??

Anyone know where to get the 'jellies' that BT use?? Have a few left from a BT engineer, but need more, they are great

5. plugwash

plugwash New Member

6. Lectrician

thanks plug, sounds right, but i cant get the picture!

7. plugwash

plugwash New Member

cpc and farnell both have websites that absoloutely suck (farnell even more so than cpc)

ring CPC up and ask for a catalogue

8. Lectrician

typed the product code in for the jellies, and they come up in RS.

9. ChubbyPhaseWire

ChubbyPhaseWire New Member

Can anyone tell me where I can buy cable suitable for
    overhead telephone installation, also what method is
    used to support the ends, also any regs re height
    length etc. the application is private land no
    vehicle access. about 20m distance between buildings.
    Thanx ET

On your bike son, ET PHONE HOME

10. Screw-It-All

Screw-It-All Member

CW1128 cable is not intended for overhead use, it is for underground runs. It is grease-filled and messy to work with.

For overhead you need dropwire. There are several types.
    The commonest is a flat twin in grey pvc and looks like large bell wire. There is also a round type in black pvc which has 4 conductors and 3 strength members.

There is also downlead which is also has 4 conductors in black or grey pvc but without the strength members. This is for external runs down walls etc., not open spans.

I'm not sure where you can get these unless you know a friendly BT man. I'll have a look around the web. I might have an odd length in my garage but I'll need to check. How many scotchloks (= "jellies") do you want? I may have some of these too.

11. et

et Member

Thanx for all the advice, I have searched the web for drop wire, only about 3 supplies, who I have e-mailed, most of the sites were not good, about time this country pulled it self into the technological era!!!
    P.S. If I had a pound for every time I heard the one about phoning home!!!!!

12. Screw-It-All

Screw-It-All Member

I've checked and I have got some Cable, Dropwire 10B i.e. round, black sheath, 4 copper conductors (2 pairs) and 3 steel strength members. I haven't checked the length yet but it looks like more than 20m. It's not new but was taken down when a route was upgraded.

If you've found someone who will supply you with new cable that's fine, but you may have to buy a minimum quantity. I'd be interested to know who you found - I know of one supplier only, Telecom Supply Line www.telecomsupplyline.ltd.uk 01733 390929. They also do Clamps, Dropwire 10A, the spiral wires used to support the cable at each end.

If you're interested in the cable that I've got I'll measure the length and check continuity and insulation with a meter. If it's ok and you want it then I'll ask a token price (t.b.a) and payment of postage at cost.

Let me know how you get on. I've also got an assortment of other cables, connectors, connection boxes, , etc.

13. trowel head

trowel head New Member

as far as i'm aware you cannot buy overhead telecoms cable from anywhere!it is basically a monopolies product.(ie bt and its contractors are the only people who use it)bt regs state that an overhead wire crossing a road must be minimum 5.5 metres high and maximum 68metres length(how you get that figure i dont know!)how many lines are you proposing to supply? as you say its only about 20m length you could use the 5 pair(a link from a previous post) and support it with easily obtained catenery wire(as long as you want 5 lines or less!)beware though,if your phone lines develop any kind of fault and the bt engineer turns up and sees obvious "diy" work he is quite within his rights to charge you a fortune or just say "up yours mate!

14. plugwash

plugwash New Member

it sounds like he wants it to go between buildings on his own site (could even be pbx lines)

i thought when bt tested they just disconnected everything beyond their master socket first,

15. trowel head

trowel head New Member

as long as "he" connects the cable afterthe master socket then he is ok!the problem appears when an engineer/faultsmen visits(if by chance you need a fault fixing)and the engineer "spots" non-bt work,if the job is easy he will probably fix it,any degree of difficulty and he will send the job straight back to his control saying "fault in customers own equipment!" bt testing involves only 2 things,firstly the engineer phoning 17070 for a basic test(as mentioned in previous topics) or the control doing a very similar test from there computer!nothing is ever disconnected to perform a test,they only look for (in basic situations) earth,battery and capacitence.its hard enough getting bt to your house anyway,can you imagine the problems involved getting them around to disconnect your equipment just to perform a test!!!!!!!even if the "works" was between the customers own properties he would then have to prove to an engineer (if a fault was present) that the fault was bt's problem before and not there own(customers) fault before bt would even entertain you!

16. plugwash

plugwash New Member

i thought the whole point if linebox style master sockets was so they could quickly disconnect your stuff and find out if the fault was on thier side

17. Lectrician

have unfortunatly had many faults....crossed line was the best, as reporting it resulted in to bt ladies answering the phone!!

Every time an engineer has visited.

One time it was damp in my extension socket, and the engineer fitted a new one (well a master with the cap. snipped!) for free :)

18. et

et Member

I've checked and I have got some Cable, Dropwire 10B
    i.e. round, black sheath, 4 copper conductors (2
    pairs) and 3 steel strength members. I haven't
    checked the length yet but it looks like more than
    20m. It's not new but was taken down when a route
    was upgraded.

If you've found someone who will supply you with new
    cable that's fine, but you may have to buy a minimum
    quantity. I'd be interested to know who you found -
    I know of one supplier only, Telecom Supply Line
    www.telecomsupplyline.ltd.uk 01733 390929. They also
    do Clamps, Dropwire 10A, the spiral wires used to
    support the cable at each end.

If you're interested in the cable that I've got I'll
    measure the length and check continuity and
    insulation with a meter. If it's ok and you want it
    then I'll ask a token price (t.b.a) and payment of
    postage at cost.

Let me know how you get on. I've also got an
    assortment of other cables, connectors, connection
    boxes, , etc.

19. et

et Member

Thanx "screw it all" for your offer. I got the required cable from a local demolition site!!! I also got some of the springy wire things for the ends!! now just have to go and do the job!!
    ET