'Own brand' tools - 'snide goods' and not fit for purpose ?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by threeof, Dec 22, 2015.

1. threeof

threeof New Member

... or simply a choice of something cheaper if your requirements are more DIY than professional.

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

and your cryptic point is ?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Power tools alway go for reputable brands, like Dewalt,Bosch, etc, well woth it for the three year warranty, etc.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

A marriage licence costs £35, with no warranty or cooling off period

Brian_L, Davmac and KIAB like this.
  5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Pretty much, but not always. Price isn't always directly proportional to quality, as 'quality brands' often have cheaper ranges now that kid the occasional buyer into thinking they're getting a quality product. Stanley springs to mind with screwdrivers etc.

If money is tight then go for mid range tools. The ones you use the most will wear out quicker so you replace those with better quality items that will last.

6. threeof

threeof New Member

I write this out of frustration, after the time spent, this thread explains:
    http://community.screwfix.com/threads/routing-out-3-lock-with-jig-and-router.172155/

It turns out yet again - to be a cheap own brand tool that simply lets you down, wasting every ones time and money, its a gimiky copy in a glossy box.

You know either Bosch or Makita's professional range will do the job right, and be long lasting, outlasting many of its cheaper copies many times over ...

My thread above was all about routers, and after much investigation - you realise that an accurate tool such as a router has to be one of the main brands, Dewalt (ex Elu), Makita,, Bosch, and in last place Hitachi. The Erbauer tool looks good, but in fact is just a cheap copy, Screwfix and others (B&Q, Wickes, Machinemart etc) market these tools to the unsuspecting, which is a bit deceptive in my opinion.

It would be interesting to know more inside info about the process of getting these tools to market - to discover how they can make copies that fail in so many ways to do the job properly, they are like half a tool - if you follow my jist. Are they UK designed, surely not ? I assume the innards will be very different to a proper branded tool, hence its short life expectancy.

China has been very successful selling us container loads of this tat, and lots of people are parting with hard earned cash for it.

Do such 'snide' copies really have a place in the market - if the owners discard them when the motor burns out, or they cant get spares for it, or it simply turns out to not do the job they thought it would do (as in my case).

Ayway I will get off my soap box and stop slagging Erbauer, think we must however quote John Ruskin:

"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey. It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money – that is all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot – it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better."

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Hmm, I wish a marriage only cost £35. Got married in August, and the ceremony (at the local registrars) cost us around £340. (well worth it though) ;););)

8. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Indeed, I think a lot of us have gone down the journey of buying 'silly' tools. This has been brought about by doing the job in a learner's approach. There is a vast collection of such tools which are invented to entice the 'bodger' into thinking its a neat way to accomplish a task. Such tools are unlikely to be used again. Once you know how things are put together, you are more likely to go the whole hog and do a thorough job. In doing so your tool needs are simpler and you look for better quality and performance.

But if you look at some things such as clocks and radios and computers; they all had a period where the general public were happy to tinker about with them and contribute to their development. Power tools have had their own development. I think there is a lot of 'sillytronics' out there with products ie kit which can bring your car to a grinding halt, and its a guaranteed extra 400 quid to do a 'diagnostic'; which more often than not is completely pointless.

9. threeof

threeof New Member

Great reply with the first paragraph, and word of the day is 'entice' ... seems these days the likes of Erbauer are cleverly constructed and marketed to 'entice' ... gone are the days when c**p like 'Challenge' was just so bad it couldn't disguise itself.

I think I now see the light, after a little research, and looking into what and how an Erbauer (and its ilk) tools come about, (I am not singling out Erbauer, but there are many clones with different names) please read on:

It appears a Chinese company called Positec Power Tool Corp. designs and manufacturers tools for the likes of Screwfix (and all the other retailers of cheap copies).

This illuminating thread illustrates many of the issues people have with Erbauer :
    http://www.ybw.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-322019.html

Apart from the spares issue, why is a cheaper tool possibly more likely to fail than a quality Western designed product, (ie the likes of Makita, Bosch etc) despite still being made in China.
    Western tool manufacturers who build in China own the factory, assume take control of the process, and quality control, we take our standards and apply it to the floor space of the plant, even if it is in China.

This article maybe gives a glimpse into the world of Chinese vs Western manufacturing, although not a great example - it illustrates how China simply cannot produce the require quality or accuracy:
    http://www.kavia.info/2013/uk-versus-china-injection-mould-tool-project/

Chinese standards in so many departments are simply lacking, and whilst the goods look shiney and new in the box -to entice our temptations, they cannot perform like a Western quality product.

I'm going to print out John Ruskins quote, stick it on my wall - and fill my life with quality Western designed goods that last and do the job !

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Good on ya. Black&Decker all the way!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you need a tool to make money with and if it fails you will lose money then buy the best you can afford, if not then it is a gamble.
    Cheap Chinese tat can last and I have rubbish tools that I bought 15 years ago that are still doing their job if treated carefully.
    I have killed numerous top range cordless drills and screwdrivers but they get a battering day in, day out.

12. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Must comment on CGN's comment about Stanley tools. At one time,they were quality,but no longer. Nowadays they seem to be made down to a price, which if they have a "Fatmax" label,is vastly inflated. Going back to the postings about Chinese power tools, I have a Metabo sander,made in the PRC & cannot fault it,so I suppose it's down to quality control. o_O

13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

True Malkie. The good Stanley gear can often be picked up at boot sales for pennies while everyone else is lured by brand new shiny tat.
    I always try to buy decent gear but occasionally take a punt on something that I think I may not use very often. I was wandering round Lidl a few months back when one of their multi tools caught my eye. I bought it as I had a job in the morning that would lend itself to such a tool and at £19.99 was a steal. Still going strong and tbf, if it packed up tomorrow, I wouldn't care too much as its got me out of a few scrapes and I consider that its already paid for itself.

Davmac likes this.
  14. threeof

threeof New Member

Not just quality control (which agreed is important) but also design and the quality of ingredients they use to make that design - assembly line processes for small items like tools I can imagine are quite refined these days, 'operatives' working in a restricted environment - the room for error in there actions would be strictly controlled in a western owned factory (the Chinese must hate our OCD and obsessive ways - BUT thats what its takes to make something quality).

Metabo are a German Co. - so even if made in PRC, the output would be controlled by our Deutscher friends.

Lidl are also a German/Austrian company, but I think they are doing an 'Erbauer' here too, albeit the design and quality control being German - which as a culture would translate on a relative level, into the product being produced.

Its seems like Stanley, and in my experience some cheaper Bosch tools - the quality is not up to what you'd expect, seems like they are trying to cheat Johns Ruskins quote, Chippie244 you say it well:

'If you need a tool to make money with and if it fails you will lose money then buy the best you can afford, if not then it is a gamble'.

and John Ruskin:

"The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot – it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better."

Imagine a world where we could only buy quality tools, no cheap tools allowed to be sold or used, our base impulses to buy such nastyness would be kept in check - land fill sites would be saved of cheap tools, the hours of wasted time and productivity would be curtailed - BUT we live in free market, and as Mr Ruskim states:

"There is hardly anything in the world that someone cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price alone are that person's lawful prey".

But going on the evidence - we are guilty your honour !

15. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Erbauer = JCB (B&Q) with a different paint job = cheap Chinese tat

Titan = McAllister (B&Q) with a different paint job = cheap Chinese tat

Best place for this **** is in a skip. If you get 6 months of pro use from any of these tools you are very, very lucky. I've had Erbauer tile cutters, diamond blades, core bits, etc. and they've all performed way less than a cheap brand-name equivalent.

16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Hny

17. threeof

threeof New Member

Noticed in my local DIY super store January Sales on tools - all the cheap 'tat' brands were on special offer - the top brands, no offers.

You get what you pay for.

Yes, Hny.

18. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

When I got married a licence was 7/6p but I got her for five bob because Mitcham was out of the London area, bargain I reckon!;)

19. whiterabbit93307

whiterabbit93307 New Member

In reality I buy tools based on how much I am going to use them.
    A Combi drill, mitre saw, 1/2" router, trim saw - buy the best I can afford. A multi tool, detail sander, belt sander that I use for 10 minutes once every week - buy any old tat and replace it when it blows up. A track plunge saw- I buy the best I can afford as even the cheapest are expensive.

Many own brand tools are perfectly good for DIY use but not to be slung in the back of a van 5 or 6 days of the week. Also many pro tools are just not worth it for the average user. Why would someone who puts up a shelf once a year need a £300 Combi drill?

Though my concession is a Titan 5 kg drill. I bought one 5 years ago as my Dewalt died and it has broken up 12" thick concrete slab, stripped the render off 7 houses, drilled countless drain & extractor fan holes. The clutch went on it last month and I replaced it with....
    a £60 Titan 5kg with a raft of bits included. A cable installer turned up with a Makita sds and tried to drill through one of those 70s concrete filled walls and gave up. Took less than 30 seconds with that piece of DIY tat.

20. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Ah that cheap old challenge tat, the first power tools I bought at the age of about 12 were usually Challenge, and to be fair I still have a challenge belt sander that I can think of no reason to replace. I actually have some fond memories of that cheap tat!

I buy quite a lot of cheap tools, I have no real need for top of the line kit. I make an exception when it comes to my combi drill / impact driver, but in general my power tools are cheap ish.

I can't really agree with many of your points though threeof, I don't think anyone is trying to pull a fast one, or lure unsuspecting people in with cheap tools in glossy boxes, cheap tools aren't as well made - that should be so obvious that there is no deception going on. What do you want them to do, highlight the products features as 'probably not square, blade is made of cheese, warranty is only 12 months' etc then wrap them up in newspaper to make it really obvious that the quality is poor?

If you want protection from being lured into buying tools that don't work, then I think you need to find an honest to god proper hardware store. One near me feels like 'safe shopping' - it's not always cheap but they know their stuff and they don't stock anything rubbish. But sometimes they only have one option when it comes to a tool, and it can be pricey.

I prefer the option of being able to make up my own mind. The £50 titan circular saw I bought (and left the supplied blade on) will not give as good results as the Bosch Pro saw that I wanted to buy, but I was laying chipboard T&G flooring, and the Titan is more than capable of ripping through chipboard with enough accuracy for the job. If I was trying to get finish quality cuts in solid oak, then I would not expect the Titan to do the job (unless maybe I changed the blade to a Freud).

With reference to you other thread, I cannot see how you bought a £100 router and expected it to be of a comparable quality to a router that could easily be 4 times the price.

wassupjg likes this.