'Own brand' tools - 'snide goods' and not fit for purpose ?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by threeof, Dec 22, 2015.

1. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I am retired now,so mostly DIY,but i still use my trade tools (mainly Makita & a few years old now,like me :D) but I know that they will still do the job. If I had to buy any replacements, I would still go for decent makes.

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I you used to work for a French firm and the wily old owner used to say "I am not rich enough to do things cheaply"

retiredsparks likes this.
  3. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

It may be £35 to buy, but try getting rid of one :( that's when you wish you had really done your homework and chose wisely.......

Buying tools is like getting married.... Don't think with your **ck . :)

4. Unit 1

Unit 1 Member

Back in the early 60's Stanley owned a 50% stake in Titan, Stanley have now merged with B&D who now own DeWalt, makes wonder a bit more which stuff comes out of which factory. Also in the 80's Stanley bought Mac tools And Bostitch.

5. DaveyC

DaveyC New Member

Just a comment on Positec tools in general. Like all the big manufacturers including Dewalt, Makita, Bosch etc, they produce a range of higher quality tools designed for the serious diy’r or light professional use. They also produce cheaper tools for the casual buyer. I have bought a number of tools from their stable (Worx,Erbauer,Titan etc) and have not been disappointed with any of them.
    My point is that both my Worx brushless drill and even my little £54 Titan kit easily out perform my older Dewalt and Makita consumer models. They are very well balanced, have loads of power and long lasting batteries. So they suit my needs.
    If I was a professional and needed a drill for continuous all day use, I would probably buy a high end Makita or Dewalt, but a £100 Dewalt from B&Q will almost certainly be no better than any of my Positec tools.
    So don’t knock Positec tools. They are very good value for money and fill a place in the market. The more expensive models in the range are really quite impressive.

wassupjg likes this.
  6. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

I've just bought a house and every room needs gutting and doing up. I came into this owning a couple of hand tools and an old Argos cordless drill. I've had to buy so many tools for just one or two jobs that I'm now ripping down the shed and building a bigger one to house them all.
    In my position the cheap tools do the job perfectly well and if I'd bought the best I could afford each time then I'd have no money for materials to get the job done!

wassupjg likes this.
  7. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Jobs that are one offs or done once a twelve month then yes fair enough. I use dewalt drills, Paslode nailguns, hilti impact drivers virtually every other working day, so it makes sense for me to buy the best out there, for reliability and longevity. But I also own cheap titan tools, small sander, sds/breaker, and they're invaluable when I eventually come to use them again.

8. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Can I but inn?
    Prehistory:
    my trusty old Skil Classic saw packed up;
    for many years have been lusting for tradesman acceptable portable (cordless) saw... and having Hilti rail saw kit it was always clear choice for me; almost ordered at lunch time for a £505+vat... Though, I might as well upgrade few other bits (2 cordless tools offer @Hitli) but Tax Year just ended, so decided to be indecisive... ;)
    Checked what's what - made in China. (Thought only batteries where)

Conclusion- there are none truly viable worth cordless saw's (tools) worth paying X5 premium for

If I'll find something performing well enough being labeled as Lidl or else brand-new that'll be that, but I'll never be as naive again in trusting premium labels ;)

Just my take on it

facilities likes this.
  9. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

I agree, but if you buy a branded saw that's Chinese and it lasts ten years, what does it matter if it's Chinese, as long as the build quality and performance are exactly what you expect for the money? Premium labels are just that, labels. Everyone owns each other these days, rightly or wrongly.

10. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Love bit too strong of a expression, like is more to the point- Katsu trimmer and 10.6v screwdriver I own - both are as good, as bigger labelled Mahkyyta, but at a 1/3 of a cost... So I trust Katsu brand now ;) as it is value for money and....

ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING is made in China anyway

Jord86 likes this.
  11. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Aye I know, the way the world has gone, speed, mass production, mass profit.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  12. MicklemusH

MicklemusH New Member

I agree with you..... I've been done by buying a Titan TTB288SDR hook and loop sander which as you say came with a nice carry case. In this instance the tool seemed rugged enough but it is anything but that because after a few minutes use the tool went into limp mode and was hardly revolving then it picked up and went full tilt. This tool is neither use nor ornament because this is what it could do when it feels like it and although Screwfix have found the complaints to be absolutely gen when they get complaints about this tool they seem to avoid the issue in many instances and especially now they have taken this tool out of the catalogue.
    I have usually owned Black and Decker power tools in the far off days of my youth and have bought a similar quality router from the USA which is a very nice Porter Cable brand which is extremely popular all over the USA. I also have a 'real' Kango 950 that I've renovated twice and it hammers just as good as it ever did 40 years on!

Although I could take this as new completely **** Titan sander to bits and probably find what is wrong with it but then not be able to get spares for it
    I am set on getting the thing resolved financially by you know who because as you say in so many words , it's the principal of the matter that any power tool should work at least for the 2 years guarantee period and not fail any sooner and it is the maker who should bear the brunt of any hassle if the tool is **** and is not fit for purpose......
    I would never buy another M xxxxa small angle grinder because they do not stand up to the constant use I give them and I've gone for a Metabo this time thinking well it is the brand but when I looked on the name plate I was shocked to see it is not made in the Country of it's birth but has been made in China! Well we'll have to see what transpires with this one won't we?