P shaped shower door too short.....

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Lordford, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Lordford

Lordford New Member

I have small bathroom which I had completely refitted last year to a good standard, however, the P shaped glass shower door seems too short and water is going all over the floor. We are constantly having to put a towel down whenever we use it and it's a pain. I have tried searching for some sort of extension to increase the curve just a few centimetres which would make all the difference, does anything exist? Any suggestions?

2. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

A shower door seal may work, but it won't look as pretty.

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

A picture speaks a thousand words... Put one on (please) ;);)

4. Lordford

Lordford New Member

Thanks, I've put a pic on, as you can see the door isn't big enough and doesn't cover the curve of the bath, so I was just wondering if there is anyway of making it longer sort of thing???

Attached Files:

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

How is it fixed at the wall end (where it hinges) ?

6. Lordford

Lordford New Member

It appears to be the usual bracket that attaches to the wall/tiles and the glass is pinched in so to speak.

Attached Files:

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ah I see what you mean now from the pictures, as above, often a photo or two really does help understand the problem

Not quite wide enough I would say, as opposed to 'too short' o_O

Anyway, where its fixed to the wall channel, looks like its been secured at its minimum width
    On the inside face of the wall channel there will be 2 small screw (maybe 3)
    Get some help to hold the glass and undo these screws
    Then slide the glass outwards to its maximum setting, bearing in mind that the fixing screws need to secure through wall channel and into glass channel (apologies if you're familiar with this fixing system)

Pilot hole through wall channel into glass channel, I would guess around 2mm, then secure with the screws
    This may give you enough length / width :D

Bathroom looks very nice by the way

8. Lordford

Lordford New Member

Nice one! I shall defo try that. I'll probably come back to you when ive dropped the door and the screws have gone down the plug. (You might've noticed diy is not my strong point). Thanks

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Rule no1-whenever doing work above a bath or sink-put the plug in :D

10. Lordford

Lordford New Member

Cheers mate, thanks for that!

11. Babsdon001

Babsdon001 New Member

I have exactly thesame problem.
    Spending so much to refit a bathroom and then having to put a towel on the floor make it look awful.
    The issue is the width of the glass screen, which should have been designed to exceed the bend slightly and guarantee and slap during shower. an extra 5cm or so increase in the width would have stopped this issue if tested properly.

This is a design flaw and makes you wonder if the manufactures tested this damn things before selling it to the buyers.

My STRONGEST advice ever DON’T buy this P shaped bath, the shower screen is awful and will leave you frustrated and angry, unless the manufacturers comes up with a solution or a redesign of the shower screen.

12. Granfernewtown20

Granfernewtown20 Active Member

Same bath, same screen, same problem. However I anticipated the problem, regrettable as it is, and I added a shower rail above the bath and use a shower curtain as well.
    It needn't be a full width one.....just wide enough to solve the problem and it can be transparent if an opaque one is unsettling.
    But...no water on the floor, ever.