Paint Brushes

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by normabram, Feb 21, 2015.

1. normabram

normabram Member

Hi folks. I've a number of panelled doors to do, about 20 in fact, and I'm not really looking forward to it. I'll be using a good solvent based satin paint from a trade supplier. Looking at Youtube recently a guy was hacking a brush about with a pair of scissors to get a rounded slightly pointed paint edge, then singeing the bristles on a gas cooker and then using sandpaper to finish them off!!! Another similar video was shown using a beard clipper.

So, do you professionals get up to these tricks and does it make a difference? Also, can you comment on bristle versus synthetic brush type please. I have tried foam rollers but not really happy with the finish.

Thanks

normabram

2. Ive watched these videos aswell but neither i nor my father nor any of the guys i have ever worked with have done this to our brushes, i just tend to buy pro dec x5s which are synthetic and i have used them for all paint from gloss to weathershield and would never use anything else

3. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Go with Purdy or Hamilton norm .

4. Harris are pretty good aswell

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I still have a load of Harris brushes also, not the no loss ones. These are the synthetic variety.

When Woolworths was closing they had a sale, so I stocked up on them.

6. Harris down to earth are good brushes for glossing windows really easy to cut in really cheap and apparently bio degradable :)

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Purdy Monarch Elite synthetic paintbrushes, bought a set,not from screwfix, found cheaper online, not cheap but, well worth the money.
    Fabulous brushes,cutting in performance is excellent,works with all paint & with care they will last a lifetime if you look after them.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

When you say you've tried foam rollers but not happy with the finish, was you not then going over the door with a brush to smooth out (laying off)

Those 4" rollers are great for speed and just getting the paint on the door, or any large area

Then quickly with long, light strokes (talking about painting here lads o_O) go over the entire surface to smooth out the paint and brush out the "orange peel" effect from the roller

Just a diy'er but I've not found a better or quicker method to paint, especially large areas

9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Yup! Purdys all the way straight out of the box, get a Brushmate to store oil based paint brushes and wet brushes before using on water based.

At least 1½" or even 2" for doors.

10. Boolay

Boolay Member

Use a 4" roller with a long pile sleeve ( something thats gonna hold a lot of paint). Start with the panels then do the rest , lay off with a nice Purdy. 5 minutes, job done.

11. normabram

normabram Member

Thanks for your prompt reply and thanks to all others who posted as well. norm