Paint dusting off wall.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Kath, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Kath

Kath New Member

I had new doors put in in place of the window a year ago and had the walls to the side of the doors plastered. Now the wall to one side of the door at the bottom seemed to be damp about 3 months ago and thought it was due to something leaning against the out side wall, but now when I rub over it it dust off?

2. Hi Kath.

Does it still feel damp? Or just dusty?

Hard for us to know without seeing it, and the answer to the above Q will also help.

But, it could have just been due to the plaster, and possibly some cementing underneath it, still being damp when the wall was painted, so the paint has been 'split' by the damp and has failed. You are now able to simply wipe it off!

Or, it could be that the job of fitting the door wasn't done properly and damp is getting in past the door frame due to it not having been sealed properly, or the the wall cavity has been bridged either by mortar or through poor practice (eg no dpc separating the skins).

The door was fitted a year ago? When did you notice the damp, and when did the damp stop (if it has)?

3. Kath

Kath New Member

The wall feels cold and there is no damp just the paint dusting off. I noticed that the wall was damp(wet) around 3 months ago as there was a wet patch on the wall where the paint is now dusting off. The wall was painted 9 months ago.

4. Kath

Kath New Member

I have uploaded a picture of the wall as my profile picture.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I assume the window did not go down to floor level, if it didn't and in fitting the door the brickwork was cut out, do you know how they closed the cavity off???, if they filled it with cut bricks/blocks it could be drawing water across it via capillary action, this in turn being sucked up by the plaster causing a damp wall, not wet just damp, enough for the paint not to stick, the dusting now is probably because it's drying out in the current warm spell.

6. Kath

Kath New Member

Thanks, I don't know how they did it. So do I need to take the plaster of and dry the wall out fully then re-plaster it?

7. Phil the Paver

Not necessarily, you do need to work out how any damp may be getting through and cure that problem, if the plaster hasn't blown then it will eventually dry out and stay dry.

8. Hi Kath.

As Phil says.

IF the damp has gone away completely and has not come back, and IF the plaster there is still nicely firm, then you should be able to just sand it down and repaint it.

However, the fact that the damp showed itself a few months after the door was fitted suggests to me that there is an underlying issue here, so the damp is almost certain to come back until it's fixed.

It does look very likely that the cause of this damp is the fitting of your new door. I presume you have a cavity wall? In this case, when they cut down from the window to the floor to make the opening for the door, they expose this cavity gap. This then needs to be closed, BUT the two skins shouldn't be in contact or else moisture form the outer skin can be drawn in to the inner skin. I understand usual practice is to insert a DPC - a long plastic strip around 4" wide - to ensure moisture cannot cross.

I'm afraid that repainting or even re-plastering ain't going to fix it. The only thing that will sort it is to prevent moisture coming across in the first place (assuming that is the cause), and this will require these builders to come out again.

This won't be much fun for you, Kath, but it's what you should do. Perhaps it's worth waiting until you have driving rain again and the actual dampness can be felt before calling them out again (or turn a hose against the outside wall!)

But, really, this is the original builder's job to sort. If they are reluctant to do so, then you may have to 'force' them by giving them the option to sort is first, but then informing them you'll be getting someone else to do it if they don't, and you'll sue them for the cost.

As I said - it ain't going to be much fun. BUT it's the right thing to do.

Step one would, I think, be to inform these builders of the issue and ask them to come out for a looksee. But also call out another - unrelated - builder to seek their opinion too.

If the second builder says it's definitely damp coming through from the outside skin and it's a door-out job to sort, then tell him that you'll need to tackle the installer first, but you'll get them to do it if they refuse.

Kath, can you have a look at the outside of the frame in that area too, please - is the door frame well sealed against the brickwork outside? I guess you couldn't be as lucky as to find that it just hasn't been sealed properly... (Even so, surely the water shouldn't come right in?)

9. Phil the Paver

Looking at the pic again, I can see the pink plaster, when you painted it, did you seal it first with a watered down mist coat or did you just paint straight on to the fresh plaster.??

10. Kath

Kath New Member

Thanks for your good info I will contact the builder. Phil no I waited until the plaster was dry then painted the wall x

11. Kath, the last time (the only time?) the wall was actually damp was 3 months ago? And it's been bone dry since?

In that case what is your complaint to the builder going to be?

If it is dry, then sand it down, slightly thin the first coat of emulsion 20%-ish with water (just mix a small amount) allow to dry FULLY, and then apply a couple of neat coats.

And keep an eye on it.

Keep a record on the dates and the photos you've taken - if it does become damp again, then you'll have proof that it was like that at an earlier time (take some photos with a newspaper in the frame, showing the date.)

12. Kath

Kath New Member

I will thank you for your help.

13. Kath

Kath New Member

Sorry yes it was damp three months ago which was the only time, and has been dry since.

14. Kath

Kath New Member

I would have asked him to come and have a look to see what he thinks but firstly I am going to try to sand it down and give it an undercoat as I didn't do that first time around.

15. Sorry, Kath - I'm trying to be funny. And failing...:oops:

The "I'm waiting" was for the 'thank you' you said you would give me @@@tumbleweed@@@

That sounds promising - if it's only been damp once, then hopefully there was a 'cause' that no longer exists, like wot you mentioned yourself - something placed against the wall which caught the rain and concentrated it in one area?

If it's dry now, then fingers crossed :)

16. Kath

Kath New Member

Hahahahaha just re- read what I wrote I'm a dope. Thanks for all your advice x.

17. Phil the Paver

DA, we've both had a kiss from Kath now. :oops: :p

18. Kath

Kath New Member

Hahahaahhahahha

19. :D

Not at all jealous... :confused: