Paint filters

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by sospan, Sep 16, 2016.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I am finding that the modern paints and plastic cans seem to acquire lots of paint flakes. It seems to be where the paint dries on the lid / side of the can and then when it flexes drops into the paint.

I have been trying some of the paper cone filters but so messy and fiddly. Any recommendations (not tights etc.) for paint filters that will work with emulsion and gloss type paints ?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Keep your can upside down, & I secure lid with duct tape, just to be safe, I use old net curtian & I also use nylon straining bag, usually use them for strianing fruit when jam making, & my home brew.

Any paint I get in metal tins, I always decant to plastic cans, so you don't get the rust issues.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Used to be able to get metal funnels with gauze in them!
    Dunno if you still can.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It its not just the smaller tubs the 10l are the same. I was using some emulsion yesterday and when I popped the lid off today a few flakes dropped off the rim back into the paint

Got a few fuel filters funnels lying around, it could be worth modifying a few of them by cutting down the spout.

skin on paint was never much of a problem but these flakes seem to be only on the newer more modern paint

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It is a known problem and I am told that paint manufacturers have received more than enough complaints about this problem that they are aware of it and working towards a solution. In the meantime its a pair of tights and a paint plastic kettle when needed.:(

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

So with all the new technology, we are still relying on 1940's women's hosiery o_O

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

'If it ain't broke' comes to mind! ;):)

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I use a fine mesh stainless steel food strainer for this job (not from the kitchen, this lives in the garage with decorating stuff)

Works brilliantly. Decent handle to grab onto and sits nicely on an empty 2.5 or 5 ltr paint can

Easy to clean out and ready to use next time. Works for me anyway

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Thanks to you I now own the country's most expensive paint strainer.

I Remembered the wife had a metal strainer which was a bit battered so I grabbed that one and she could have a new one. Bad move, she went to the Lakeland shop and came back with a bagful of stuff, i dread to think what the contents of the bag cost .......

upload_2016-9-18_20-58-44.png

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ha ha so I've cost you a few quid but in return, you have a simple, reusable method for straining paint

Obviously emulsion paints and other water based paints are a doddle to clean up but have also used the sieve with solvent based paints. Tend to pour the paint through slowly so only a smallish part of the mesh is used. Sit this section in a small paint tray (or similar) and a splash of white spirit and an old washing up brush, followed by hot soapy water gets the sieve ready for next use

Hope your missus spent plenty of money anyway...... Always makes us feel better for a while !

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I tend to use muslin but only on thinned paint.