paint flaking off new plaster

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by nickyrannoch, Oct 10, 2016.

1. nickyrannoch

nickyrannoch New Member

I'm sure this gets asked on here all time but I have had whole hallway plastered in June.

Last month a small patch about 8x8 inches has started peeling.

The work is guaranteed for a year so I can get builders back in but I don't want to get them back for one tiny patch if the rest might go at later date.

The rest of the work seems fine so guess I'm asking should I hold off a bit before calling them back or just get them in.

Also, why would one small patch be peeling? It's right beside radiator socket. Makes me wonder if hole was cut in wrong place after plastering finished and they quickly cut another and patched up
    and painted over before it dried?

Also, haven't had radiator on.

Attached Files:

2. Looks like damp to me, either condensation or - looking more likely - damp coming through the wall for some reason.

Not saying it's definitely damp, but it chust looks like it to me.

Is this an internal or external wall? Were there any signs of damp there before you had it replastered?

leesparkykent likes this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Did you apply a mist coat of paint first or neat from the container?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thinking the same here, as it doesn't look like damp:)

Got no blisters,etc like you see with damp as below.

[​IMG]

5. Oh. Contraire. :p

It looks to me as tho' it is blistered - lots of raised dinkles. Poor adhesion would manifest itself as loose flakes.

I see no flakes...

leesparkykent likes this.
  6. nickyrannoch

nickyrannoch New Member

Cheers for replies.

The hall was replastered because of a roof leak but there is no sign of any damp, blistering or flaking on the ceiling where water was coming in before or anywhere higher up from where photo taken.

I have no idea how it was fixed as it was builders/plasterers from insurance company that did it.

I'm not seeing blisters, the paint is flaking. Probably worth saying paint was knocked off by me putting a bag there and then rubbing a bit more off when investigating it.

Behind the plasterboard is external brick wall but there is a cavity between plaster and brick. When remedial work done the plaster was stripped right back to brickwork so it is all entirely new.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

???

Plaster or plasterboard? Cavity between plaster and brick?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Rub it a bit higher up, you'll find that probably comes off too.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's a contract emilsion non vinyl paint that became wet when the radiator was bled. Have you used a damp meter on the area?