Paint on varnished wardrobe doors

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by jojo46, Nov 10, 2015.

1. jojo46

jojo46 New Member

Hi,

I have recently moved into a property on my own and my husband always did the DIY so I have no clue! Basically I have a bedroom full of wooden wardrobes and it has no external window so is very dark so I was thinking of painting them white. Can anyone advise me on the best way to do this, (please bare in mind I don't have any sanding machines etc etc) it will all be rubbed down if need be with my fair hands!!!! :(

2. Hi Jojo.

A photo - including a close-up of a typical door - would probably help peeps on here to advise fully.

But essentially it would involve getting the surfaces really clean - scouring pads/ wire wool etc and a cleaner like 'sugar soap' - followed by a primer and then the paint of your choice - I would suggest a water-based satinwood paint.

If the surface is in good order, that should be enough. But if it has sprigs and sticky-out bits from poor varnishing, then perhaps a light rub-down with fine grade sandpaper over a block would be beneficial too.

I forget the name of the primer peeps recommend on here - it's Zinsser something, I think... :oops:

Anyways, Astra and others will no doubt be along shortly - and then you can ignore everything I've said above.

Happy new life - I hope it works well for you :)

3. 'Zinsser BIN Primer Sealer White' is the stuff that seems to be recommended for ensuring good paint adhesion to shiny surfaces.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If you are sure the wardrobes are wood use the paint Dev has suggested if they are a melamine plastic finish prime using Zinsser Bullseye 123 and then apply 2 or 3 coats of white acrylic eggshell paint or Gardinia can look a warmer tone.