Paint over white gloss on skirting or just replace skirting - dark wood effect desired

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by splreece, Apr 4, 2015.

1. splreece

splreece New Member

I may have answered my own question but incase there is an alternative...

Ive just bought a property and the white gloss painted skirting is terrible. It has 3 coats of white, yellow(yes not a mistype), then white again.

I want a nice ivory/dark eggshell wall against say an oak or obvious browner skirt.

Will I get an attractive effect by sanding/repainting or am i better to sack it off and get new skirts...

any thoughts

2. splreece

splreece New Member

ps...i wanted it in dining room, living & corridor/stairs, so its a good amount of skirting space. I have it in the budget to buy new.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Time & effort to strip it back takes hours, I had the same here, did part of one room, then gave up, decided it was quicker to ripped off all the skirting in all ground floor rooms, & replaced with MDF skirting stuck on with Gripfill.
    Other advangtage no knots, lovely smooth finish & longer lengths, I got around 150mts of 100mm BN skirting @ 5.1mtr lengths of Ebay for £30.

4. splreece

splreece New Member

my thinking exactly.... i'm using an oscillator so should be a neat removal. if the cleaning and sanding hold no real benefit then new it is... ta.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Rub down existing skirting, wash over with sugar soap solution and rinse off, fill and prepare where required, patch prime followed by 2 coats of your chosen eggshell finish...job done!

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Did that in the bedroom, barely two years later orginal paint is now lifting off skirting under new satinwood leaving bare wood showing.
    I could strip it all back, but luckily I still have enough mdf skirting to do whole room.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

One word...preparation.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:mad:

Rubbed down, washed with sugarsoap, filled holes, spot prime, then prime completely, follow by two top coats.

Did I miss anything.o_O

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You didn't need to sugar soap :)

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Probably sugar soap first.:confused:

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I use Flash!

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Oohoh, Saviour of the Universe!

13. proby

proby Active Member

As Astra said preparation if it's going back to bare wood it probably wasn't primed

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Spleece, just prep it and paint it, nobody will notice your new mdf skirting once the furniture is placed back in the room