Painting a broom handle

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by FatHands, Jan 21, 2017.

1. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

yes you read that right! Is it possible to paint a broom handle with two different colours without either bleeding through/looking carp?!
    I was going to make some Escrima sticks for karate training and was planning on painting them in the clubs colours for a bit of fun. they are not for hitting by the way - we just use them for exercises to relax the shoulders and help make the wrists more flexible.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easy to do.

Prime, lightest colour first, allow it to dry throughly otherwise the tape, even low tack tape might lift off the paint.

No difference.:)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    FatHands likes this.
  3. FatHands

thanks K! Any preferences on masking tape?
    Was planning on painting blue and red - so would you paint the whole thing red, allow to harden and then use the tape method to get the blue in? Otherwise, there will be a gap where the masking tape is. Was planning on taking the colours to Tradepoint and getting them mixed up in that Valspar stuff they do.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

FatHands likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Depends on the shades, but would say blue first.

As to masking tape, Astra better quailty to answer that question, but I use the one below, there maybe better out there,but I'm not a painter.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/frogtape-painters-delicate-surface-masking-tape-24mm-x-41m/54939

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  6. FatHands

to be honest, we have tried several things (including the ones from the martial arts places) and a broom handle cut down to the length of the students arm seems the perfect weight and size to hold, but point noted, thanks K.

KIAB likes this.
  7. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

KIAB likes this.
  8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Nothing more to add, the frog tape appears ideal for your needs ;)

KIAB likes this.
  9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:eek:

Astramax likes this.
  10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Alright, Alright .....................I use Tesa precision masking tapes check them out on Google

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You can get a nice straight circumferential line if you hold a small brush and have someone turn the broom handle for you!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really