painting a van

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by johnbythesea, Apr 16, 2017.

1. johnbythesea

johnbythesea New Member

Hello all

I have an old LDV luton van which I converted in a camper van about 5 or 6 years ago, it's now off road and parked at the end of my garden, it needs painting a new colour to better blend into the background. I am going from a sky blue (light) to a leaf green (dark)

what sand paper grade should I use if I am just prepping the surface for paint? No need to worry about autobody work, and it does not need to look great, just green.

I am thinking 340 ????

Cheers

2. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

This entirely depend on the finish you want.
    As you just want to change the colour and aren't bothered about a perfect finish then yes, a thorough wash, a medium fine grit followed by a darn good rinse may be good enough to give you a nice keyed surface. Then go over it with panel wipe to get every last trace of grease/contamination off.
    Tack cloths will help you get any remaining hairs and dust off.

You may need an isolating coat depending on the previous finish, you may not.

Where are you going to be painting it? This is the major ballache in my experience. You can do the best prep ever but unless you can paint somewhere that's pretty darn near spotless, has no draughts and has a warmish not too humid atmosphere, you can find painting doesn't give then finish you'd like. Whatever the prep and regardless of not seeking perfection.

What paint and application method are you planning to use?

Edit, just re-read your post, if it's basically a spare room at the bottom of the garden just let the algae grow and make it green :D Sorry, I initially thought you wanted it back as a camper

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If it isn't going to move again, I would cover it in something like black jack paint and then clad it

[​IMG]

KIAB likes this.
  4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A couple of coats of Bedec Barn Paint should do the job nicely!

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If the paintwork is already faded, shed stain will stick. Ducks Back Forest Green, there ya go.

6. Ready2Paint

Ready2Paint New Member

Interesting, you can always rely on Astramax to be of help!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2017
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

KIAB likes this.
  8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Yes

Behind radiators. :p:p:p:p

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Trouble with Bedec is lack of colour choice.

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Scrap it off and build a shed :rolleyes:

11. Gluggy

Gluggy Active Member

Not sure how much help this will be but one of my old neighbours repainted his transit with nothing more than a couple tins of gloss, a roller and more than a few beers as prep... A long way from show quality but its done the job and if the van isn't likely to be going back on the road it might save some time / money.

12. Fenja Wonderland

Fenja Wonderland New Member

Hello everybody! I thought my experiance might be helpful. I recently painted my van with a paintroller and have made a video about it.
    In this video I'll tell you what I have used, how long it took, how much it did cost me and will show you the end result. I have to say, it will obviously not a perfect finish, as a roller leaves litlle bubbles, but I like the result a lot! For more information and entertainment about Scotland Vanlife Youtube.com/c/Fenja_Wonderland

13. Red Star Boats

Red Star Boats Active Member

Posts four years old, if it ain’t painted by now I don’t think it ever will be.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  14. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Big van and small brush possibly....?

Red Star Boats likes this.
  15. BillyBobToo

BillyBobToo Active Member

Forth Bridge syndrome?