Painting an outside concrete path

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by luke warmbath, Sep 7, 2009.

1. luke warmbath

luke warmbath New Member

Is this feasible with any product? Although the path is 100% sound, it is was made in several stages and is therefore a different grey in several places! I know you can get coloured pigment for cement so presumably painting the top surface is at least only a temporary solution.

Thanks for any thoughts even if "no way"!

Luke

2. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

What colour are you after?

I'd have thought that 'garage floor' type paints would be suitable, tho' I'm pretty sure there will be other paints designed especially for paths. You can certainly get a 'resin' type product which may even have a non-slip texture to it. I remember reference to it in a Builders' Forum post, tho' I'll struggle to find it...

Bottom line - I'm pretty certain there are products!

3. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

products!

Thanks for that d.a. Hope yet so I will do some research. As for colour, I would go for something that doesn't shout "PAINTED!" so a mid grey would probably work.

4. Goldenduck

Goldenduck New Member

Can't really help but if you've ever dropped/spilt bog standard emulsion on a path/pavement it will still be there years later.......................!

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Take a grey gloss paint and add some to turps, so you end up with coloured turps. Paint on more coats to the lighter concrete till it matches. The turps evaporates, the grey doesn't. Hey ho.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Mr. Handyandy

......Don't worry, the grey GLOSS will not be glossy when most of it is turps. :)

Test on some unseen concrete first.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. devil's advocate

8. devil's advocate

9. LostShepherd

LostShepherd New Member

We painted our external paths with an Exterior Dulux Gloss mixed in house by B&Q. The results have been very good so far and it seems much more durable than the the previous masonry paints we used. Time will tell but we are happy with it so far.

We did it as the path was originally laid with fine stone glued onto it, but over the years it came loose and broke off in patches, plus it held the dirt something shocking, the painted paths look much better. The ultimate solution is to relay it with a dye through the cement, but for now this will do.

Attached Files:

10. OOOOooooooooohh, that's an interesting choice of colour... :rolleyes:

And paint type. :)

11. Mr. Handyandy

Yeah, and I didn't know you could get paint that has knots and joint pieces in it. Cool.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Decking paint, the new tartan for the apprentice to go and get.:)

13. LostShepherd

LostShepherd New Member

Thanks, oh and its oil on the decking not paint clever cloggs :)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  14. :)

Seriously, tho', do you think that's a good colour for the path? Does it go with the decking and the grass?

I guess the choice of exterior gloss does mean it's pretty durable! I'm not sure I'd personally like a 'gloss' finish...

Maaaan, these paths need a darker colour. Any darker colour - rustic red, deep purple, dark grey...

But, as long as you are happy :D

15. A similar jobbie I'm doing at the mo' is painting my garage floor - never done since it was built 10 years ago.

I baulked at the price of garage floor paint, so - typical Skotsman - I looked around at cheaper alternatives. And found a half-tin of one in the corner.

'Drive Seal'. Man, if it's tough enough for outdoor tarmac, then it'll be fine for a more lightly-used garage floor.

Problem - it's jet black.

But, no longer.

It's now a rich dark grey.

Courtesy of a goodly dollop of white masonry paint.

Wha'...?

16. LostShepherd

LostShepherd New Member

I know what your saying re. the colour it's definitely not to everyone's taste and not a standard garden colour, but I feel that kind of thing of thing is pretty subjective so there shouldn't be any right or wrongs in it.

We went for the blue in this case as it ties in with the overall theme of the garden which is a beach feel, there are other features not in the photos such as a dark blue lounger covers, beach pebble wall, palms and a bit of beach bamboo. The blue paths really do give the impression of water and help define / break up the space it's nice and bright lifting the whole feel of the space..again this is just how it feels to us and its hard to convey in photo's. To our eyes it really does go well in the garden keeping everything light, bright and breezy, anyone who has saw it has said they liked it but who knows they may have just been being polite, but they seemed genuine.

We had tried a white \ cream masonry paint before (after priming the concrete), but it flaked badly and just looked permanently dirty, the gloss is easy cleaned (mostly the rain does this work for us :))and its durable as anything, plus it looks wet giving that water feel again.

I used that drive seal before on our tarmac it was really good, made it look like new, you're right its so much cheaper than those speciality paints they are criminal in price, that paint we used was costly enough too, I could have cried when I needed to buy an extra litre.

I guess I spent a lot of timing searching around the web trying to see the best way to paint an external path, it seemed that most folk thought it a silly thing to do, but in our case there was good reason as our paths looked terrible after the initial (experimental) covering didn't work and we didn't have the time \ money to get it totally relaid, painting was a quick, clean solution and it also gives you the chance to try different colours to see what works. I wanted to share with other people thinking of doing the same thing our experience, I think it can work its not without it pit falls but its not as crazy a thing to do as some other forum posts I have read seem to suggest.

Thanks for the feedback :)

17. "To our eyes it really does go well in the garden keeping everything light, bright and breezy..."

And that is all that matters :).

Nice job, and thanks for telling us about it.

18. LostShepherd

LostShepherd New Member

We moved houses a few years back, I miss that old path now :)

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You must move on and take the path of righteousness. ;)