Painting conservatory glass to reduce solar gain

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by diymostthings, Apr 14, 2015.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Hello - can anyone recommend a type of paint which could be used during the summer months to reduce heat build up from sunshine in a conservatory please? My elderly auntie has asked me to look into obtaining blinds for this but they need to be custom made and are very expensive (for her).

I have noticed windows covered in opaque "stuff" when a building is being refurbished etc - presumably this can be easily wiped off on completion of the works? Does anyone know what this stuff is?

Alternatively is there a paint-type product which could be used but easily removed after the summer?

Many thanks in advance for any advice/experience/comments!

diymostthings

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

3. diymostthings

Thanks for that Phil - well it certainly looks very good but is a bit pricey - I caclulated about £60 per square metre. (hopefully that would include survey and fitting). Still a bit cheaper than fitted blinds though. Also it looks a bit permanent - my auntie might want to remove it in the winter!

diymostthings

4. Hi Diy.

Don't know what that white paint is called, but I know what you mean - I'm guessing builders use it to give privacy to the work being done (and tools left behind...).

But, it surely is an easy stuff to wipe off when not required. I'm also guessing that it'll need applying to the inside of the glass/polycarb as it would otherwise wash off.

If no-one comes on here with an answer, then perhaps pop into the next D-G shop you walk past and ask them?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  6. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Open the window's , save your money

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

google "reflective film"

8. Phil the Paver

9. diymostthings

Thanks Gatt - unfortunately opening the window won't reduce the solar gain.

diymostthings

10. diymostthings

Thanks big all. Well that looked a bit hard to remove in the winter.

diymostthings

11. diymostthings

12. Phil the Paver

your welcome, hope it does you a turn. :)

13. Phil the Paver

If I was saying you are, I would have, but I said your. :D