Painting direct onto plasterboard

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by James V, Jan 25, 2016.

1. James V

James V Member

Hi - Just wondered if this stuff can also go directly onto plasterboard? I'm not skimming it.

No Nonsense Trade Bare Plaster Paint Brilliant White 10Ltr
    Product Code: 51004

Cheers

James

2. Almost certainly 'yes'.

That's 99.9999999999998% certainty.

Mind you, is there any particular reason why you'd want to use this paint and not 'normal' emulsion?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  4. You really need to stop looking in through people's windows...

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Even easier now with this.:):p

[​IMG]

SMILE!:)

EDIT: Can use any plasterboard sealer.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  6. James V

James V Member

[QUOTE="Devil's Advocate, post: 1394644, member: 33931"

is there any particular reason why you'd want to use this paint and not 'normal' emulsion?[/QUOTE]

I thought it may be a bit thicker; and would also remove the need to prime the boards with PVA first. Given the comment above I'll get some board sealer. That said - Screwfix dont seem to do it, and cant see it anywhere else either?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. James V

James V Member

Thanks. So screwfix dont to a product that will do for this?

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What is it with DIY'ers and frigin PVA aaarrrggggggghhhhh just because plasterers smother everything that moves in the stuff............painters do'nt

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Like Brut... Splash all over...:)

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The idea is that the first coat is thinner not thicker.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Just paint it!

You'd be hard pressed to get ANY paint off of cardboard.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  13. Yep!

I've never used anything other than emulsion paint - thinned very slightly - for plasterboard. It must be one of the easiest and nicest surfaces to paint on to.

Do pro house-builders prime or seal drywall before painting?

14. James V

James V Member

Ok - just to be clear then. I'm painting a room that is bare plasterboard, that has the joints filled with jointing compound.

I don't want the shade to be different between the board and the joints, so I thought that 'sealing' was important; and also that painting directly on to the boards with watered down paint might make the paper soggy.

I'd be really grateful if I could get a clear recommendation as to what to use and how. I want a basic, brilliant white Matt result, and I want to achieve it in as few coats as possible

Cheers!

15. All I can say is what I would do - and have done.

I'd dilute some matt emulsion with around 10% water. Then roll it on.

When fully dry, I'd apply a further two coats of neat.

Applying emulsion paint to plasterboard will not make it go soggy.

Ok, there's a chance - a possibility - that the filled joints will swell with the moisture in the paint and end up showing as a slight raised edge, but this shouldn't happen with decent filler.

(It's something I have noticed when filling holes/imperfections in a normal plastered wall - the new filler bludy swells a fraction and needs sanding down flat again afterwards. Grrrrr.)

I think what I'd do in your case is to choose one of your walls which has a light source towards one end so the light is shinning along that wall at a low angle (so will be the most flaw-critically visible wall) and give it a coat of paint and see what happens. Then base the rest of yer hoosie on the outcome.

The worst scenario is that you'll need to give it a light sanding back before then having to opt for drywall sealer - stuff such as KIAB pointed out above. But I would be surprised if this were the case. In any event, I suspect it'll be the filler that'll cause any issues (eg - by swelling very slightly) and not the p'board itself.

I have never heard of p'board being affected or damaged by applying emulsion paint to it!

Scott Boyd likes this.
  16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Whilst there are true "trade" paints some are more economy rather than quality and you may end up with as much on the floor as the wall.

You are going to need full strength paint for a the top coat so why not as DA says dilute some of this and use as a primer

17. rimce44

rimce44 New Member

Any paint would do to paint on plasterboard. I have painted many new houses in vinyl matt when painting in south London. Never had any problems. Any painter and decorator in London would agree.

18. vahid

vahid New Member

Sorry to revive this old post. @James V How did you get on with painting the plasterboard? I am in the same position as you! Thanks.
    No Nonsense Trade Bare Plaster Paint Brilliant White 10Ltr has a very high review and searching the reviews, seems people have used it for plasterboards.

19. James V

James V Member

Yup, it all went well. I had to apply loads of coats to get the filler areas to match the board areas though. I'm not sure there is a way to mitigate that, without getting filler that is the same shade as plasterboard (or plasterboard the same shade as filler :) )

20. vahid

vahid New Member