Painting Edge Of Cornice Neatly

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Stuart_B, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Stuart_B

Stuart_B Member

I am presently painting my living room . I have painted the walls but am having a problem painting the Cornice .I had thought of painting the walls and cornice white but decided to return to my original intention to paint the cornice grey to match the woodwork .
    The cornice is failrly plain ..the top tapers to where it meets the ceiling and the bottom edge where it meets the wall is a square edge about 6mm out from the wall...I have managed to paint the top edge fairly neatly but the bottom edge is a bit rough and broken in places . I painted it by putting masking tape on the wall butting up to the edge of the cornice but it is not as neat as I would like .
    I have thought of a couple of ways of sorting it .
    (1) is to put masking tape about a quarter inch below the cornice and paint the gap grey . That should give me a neat line .
    (2) is to use a table saw and cut thin strips ,again about a quarter inch ,off a 2.5 M length of 6mm mdf ,paint the front faces grey and glue them against the edge of the cornice .
    At the moment the first option is my preferred choice .

Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated .

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Paint the cornice first and walls last, cutting in carefully along the cornice edge using a 3" brush.

P J Thompson likes this.
  3. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Seeing as you've already painted the walls, can you not just touch up the bits you're not happy with?

4. Stuart_B

Stuart_B Member

Walls are already painted and some of the cornice

5. Stuart_B

Stuart_B Member

Ive done that as best I can so I'll see what its like when all parts are done .Perhaps I'm just being overfussy..It doesn't look so bad from floor level given the height of the ceilings ( Victorian Flat)

6. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

Sounds like a 'raggy' edge, a smear of decorators caulk all the way round will make it a lot easier to get a nice line.

7. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Nowt wrong with being over fussy :)
    Maybe a bit of caulk like filly said and a touch in of both colours after where needed.
    For future reference though, if you add astra and filly's posts together, that's the way.
    Do any caulking you need, paint the coving/ceiling ( you can come down onto the wall a tad, no need to cut in the edge where it meets the wall, just make sure you feather the edge where you go on the wall) then cut the wall colour into the edge, then block out the wall colour.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I've done same way as below for many years.:)

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You can still paint over the cornice and when dry repaint the wall up to the cornice!:rolleyes:

10. proby

proby Active Member

Thin the paint a bit when cutting in it helps the paint flow, and as Astra says do the walls last much easier.

Astramax likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And use a quailty brush for cutting in.