painting exterior wooden conservatory

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by 123Andrea, Apr 13, 2016.

1. 123Andrea

123Andrea New Member

Hi - hope someone can advise me - We have a soft wood conservatory which has been treated in the past rightly or wrongly by Liberon Decking Oil - this has over the last 2 years now almost disappeared from the wood and in places I have bare wood.
    I do not really want to paint the wood more just a protector on the wood - the conservatory is west facing so gets really hit by all weathers.
    Can anyone advise please whether to just repaint with the Decking Oil or is this wrong?

Thank you in advance for your comments

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Just re use the decking oil, other brads are available.

3. 123Andrea

123Andrea New Member

great thank you for your help

4. I agree with Astra - decking oil is dead easy stuff to use, gives a great finish and works well to repel water. Doesn't crack or peel either.

However, it doesn't preserve the timber, just helps to keep it from drying out, and repels water.

Softwood frames rely on the preservative treatment they were given when first produced, and its effect will be progressively lost over time, probably by the effects of water penetration.

Joints (end grain) are particularly vulnerable, and very much so if they weren't given further treatment after having been cut.

If the connie framework is nicely weathered and a bit porous, I'd personally be tempted to first give it a liberal dosing with something like Everbuild's 'Lumberjack' Triple-Action Wood Treatment (many other makes available, of course).

These products are great. Water-based, no smell, doesn't stain, soaks in nicely. And does a darned good job of killing any existing rot, and preserving against any future.

Wait until the timber is bone dry - no rain for a goodly few days - and apply by brush allowing it to soak well in. Also allow it to 'pool' wherever rain would do so - eg where the verticals meet your cills - and around joints, etc.

Allow to fully dry, and then apply yer decking oil. Give it at least two coats of D/O, and then you should be good for a single top-up every couple of years or so.

If you apply your D/O and get the right shade first coat and don't want it going any darker, chust use clear for subsequent coats.

(Any chance of before and after photos? I'd love to see how it turns out :) ).

5. 123Andrea

123Andrea New Member

Thank you very much for your reply - this makes sense re preservative and then use the Decking oil - just the information I needed - thanks very much and yes I will try to sort photos.