painting floorboards

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by cal b, Mar 24, 2017.

1. cal b

cal b New Member

eyup guys, iv just recently sanded my bedroom floorboards and me and my wife have decided we dont want to stain or paint white but would like a white colouring to the boards but still see the grain and wood effect through the boards, im a joiner so im good at sanding the boards but struggling on the finishing side with paint to get this effect, any input appreciated!!

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Would liming work?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  4. cal b

cal b New Member

5. cal b

cal b New Member

something like this wer after lads if possible

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thin down some Dulux Primer /Undercoat let dry and seal with a matt or satin floor varnish. ;)

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Try Again!:rolleyes:, Thin down some Dulux Primer/Undercoat paint on the boards in the grain direction, when dry seal over with 2 or 3 coats of a matt or satin floorboard varnish/sealer. Floorboard varnish is tougher than other varnishes.

KIAB and CGN like this.
  8. cal b

cal b New Member

cheers pal, what part water and undercoat should i mix up?

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

A lot of that depends on how opaque you want the white to be..........experiment with differing ratio's of paint/water, start with thinned at 20%. :cool:

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Experiment on a offcut of 4x1 or similar, easier than painting a floorboard & find it's too white, & you have to rub down again.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Did not mention that as I thought that would go without saying....Doh...;):D:D:D:D:p:rolleyes:
    Also try wiping over the freshly painted boards with a rag to remove some paint....experiment!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    KIAB likes this.
  12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Some while ago Phil the Paver posted an interesting post about someone who had used exterior grade ply for flooring that they also painted, must admit it looked bludy good!

KIAB likes this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've never seen plywood that looks like that.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

American plywood puts ours to shame, even their cheap shuttering ply.

17. cal b

cal b New Member

cheers everyone

18. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Johnstone's rep told me to use eggshell then put hard glaze over. All waterbased from Johnstone's paints. That's what I did. Was already a painted wooden floor and house was being sold.. Looked good when done

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Are you on a Johnstone's backhander!