Painting Fresh Plaster in Bathroom?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by 2mths, Aug 15, 2005.

1. 2mths

2mths New Member

I've had my bathroom professionally boarded and skimmed. As whitewash, a leaking chimney and artex had over time come to disagree with oneanother.

Now I need to paint it. How do I do this properly?

As it's a bathroom do I need to use a special paint - recommendations?

From reading other threads people talk of sealing fresh plaster. How should I do this, again keeping in mind that it's a bathroom?

I've spent plenty already, I don't want to waste that investment by skimping now.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

(Looked through as many threads before posting as possible - didn't see anything that covered quite this)

2. I would let the plaster dry as much as you can, keep a small window open now it has gone off. Don't just paint it cos it's there. I would use a water based eggshell. It gives a low sheen surface with excellent water/damp repelling properties. Thin the first coat (with water, approx 10-15%) apply by fine hair roller and add 2 subsequent coats. Hopefully the plasterer has done a decent job but not so good that the ceiling looks like a sheet of glass cos not much will stick to that, if in doubt LIGHTLY key the surface.

There will be more than one way to answer this thread, this would be my approach.

Good luck

3. losewire

losewire New Member

i would be more likely to paint on a coat of watered down PVA before any paint went on

4. Twobarrows&asprog

Twobarrows&asprog New Member

Just dont Ppaint or PVA anywhere where you may be tiling !

5. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

The PVA or not PVA argument will rage for ever...

I used to do this to fresh plaster, but don't any more. I found that, even when diluted well, it doesn't actually sink into the plaster that well. I've found that it appears to sink in well, but the actual PVA can be left as a thin, plasticky layer on top of the plaster (ie: it's the water content that does the sinking...).

It sticks well enough to the plaster, so isn't a problem that way. However, if you need to sand the plaster for any reason afterwards, then you've got a problem. You cannot sand PVA as you would, say, emulsion paint. Instead, it sticks to the sandpaper and peels off - no chance of 'feathering'...

I'd, personally, do pretty much what Dave suggests - a nicely thinned coat of emulsion to prime the surface, which you must leave to dry thoroughly. Then a couple of coats of your choice of bathroom paint - there are paints specially designed for this job.

I, personally, hate any sort of 'sheen' finish, but there's no doubt this type, as Dave says, will be more durable and water-resistant.

Check out the latest paints from Dulux and, even, Homebase! Modern matt emulsions are very durable and washable.

6. three-twenty

three-twenty New Member

watered down paint is the answer for you. it has worked for years. pva seems to be the generic answer for everything these days, i would not use in this case if i were you it may create more problems.

after your first thin coat go around and do any filling if necessary, then touch these up

7. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Tp PVA or not to PVA,

I have in the past used PVA and indeed recomended its use on fresh plastre in the past, and it was pointed out to me for drying reasons this is not a good idea, so I learnt from the error of my ways!

I subbie for a bathroom contractor and do at least one a week and have been using a watered down mist coat of cheap white emulsion and then top coating on ceilings with Dulux trade emulsion, and on the walls using either soft sheen or diamond matt. As others have pointed out the longre the dry time the better.

Tel